Chapter 4

Yeji

I wake up a little earlier than yesterday, knowing that I have to pack food for Haein.

As I climb out of bed, the muscles in my legs complain. I'm so sore from all the running yesterday. I should have stretched last night or something.

I push through the pain and stumble into the bathroom. I flick on the lights and then wince away from the sudden brightness. I hate mornings.

I move through my normal morning routine basically on autopilot. I don't even fully open my eyes until I have to put on mascara.

"Time to go," I say to Haein, who immediately jumps down from his spot at the table. After he has his coat and shoes on, I hand him his backpack and lunch box.

As I open the door, a crisp breeze greets us. I shiver, even through my thick coat.

"Haein-ah, give me the lunch box back. I'll carry it," I tell him, not wanting his hand to get cold holding it. Now that I'm going to be making money, I should really buy him a pair of nice gloves.

Haein leads the way, wanting to show off the fact that he remembers where to go.

"Play nice, okay? Remember to share toys and not get angry if you lose a game," I tell him as I drop him off.

"Yes Noona!" he says, seeming a bit antsy to join his friends.

"Alright, I'll see you later," I smile, ruffling his hair.

"Bye Noona!" he shouts over his shoulder as he joins his friends.

It's a relief that he makes friends so easily. It makes me feel better about the fact that I'm too busy to play with him as much as a child deserves.

I let out a long sigh as I collapse into my desk. I let my head fall forward, resting on my arms.

"Jeez, long night?" Jungkook asks, making me jump in surprise. I hadn't noticed him walk in behind me.

"Always," I don't even bother lifting my head up to reply.

"Please tell me that you don't stay up all night studying or something lame like that," Jungkook laughs.

I shrug, although it wasn't only studying that kept me up. It was bath night for Haein, which is the one thing he fights me on. I ended up having to bribe him with extra bedtime stories, which then took forever to read. After he was finally asleep, I had to do laundry so that Haein would have pants to wear today. Then I started marinating meat to cook for Haein's lunch and washed all the dishes. I finally started my homework around midnight and finished around 2am. And I still watched my daily episode of Friends to make sure my English skills stay sharp.

"You're really lame, you know that?" Jungkook says, amused.

"I don't care," I say, sleepily. I'm too tired to bicker with him right now.

"You should care. I'll help you become fun. Come to a party with me this Friday," he suggests.

"I can't," I answer immediately, even though a part of me wants to accept. I've never been to a party before. But Haein...

"Well, I guess I have 4 days to change your mind then," he says, clearly determined.

"You aren't even going to ask why I can't go?" I ask, finally lifting my head up to look at him.

"Doesn't matter," he smirks.

I roll my eyes at his cockiness. I suppose I wouldn't have told him the truth anyways.

"Taeyeon!" I smile when I see her walk in, glad to have someone other than Jungkook to talk to.

"Yeji-yaaa," she calls back, sounding just as tired as me.