Chapter 1

In this world, we're all divided into three categories from the moment we're born. Most of the time, the babies are going to be born Betas like most of the population. Sometimes, the newborns will have red eyes. They're Alphas. They'll grow up to be leaders, bosses. It's not only because of they're confident, aggressive and fierce personality, but because that's what the world has evolved into. And then, if you're unlucky, you're baby will have cold, steel blue eyes. Omegas. They're destined to be at the bottom of the hierarchy. They're the little bitches. And me? I'm just going to my football game.

"Alright listen up everyone! This is an important game. We'll surpass Manchester City in the table if we beat Everton" the manager, Joe, told the team when the bus finally arrived, ready to leave. It was my first day here in London actually. Usually, players go to training before they play their first game, but I didn't really have time for that. "Also, we have a new player, Daniëlle" he announced as he motioned towards me. "Be nice, she's here to stay" he told them before the doors opened. They all got in immediately. I was the last one to come in. That's only because they haven't seen the color of my real eyes yet. I'm not sure if I want them to know so soon. Most Alphas really enjoy all the power they have, but I don't. I haven't worked for it, I didn't earn it. I don't find it fair, but I've been trying to earn it since I can remember. I think I'm slowly getting there.

"Can I sit there?" I asked a girl who was looking out the window. "If you want" she replied without ever looking at me. "I'm Daniëlle" I said as I held out my hand. For a moment, I thought she was going to ignore it, but she reluctantly shook it. "I'm Beth" she replied as she looked at our hands. "So, Beth, I'd like to know something" I started. I noticed she was nervous by the way her heartbeat increased. "What color are your eyes?" I asked her. "Why are you asking me this?" She questioned back. "Just out of curiosity. We didn't have any Omegas in my previous team for some reason" I told her. "You already know which color my eyes are. Why did you ask then?" She asked again. "Because I think blue eyes are the prettiest of all" I murmured to her as I got up to go to the bathroom.

When I came back, I sat in an empty row so I could catch some sleep. I got out of the plan a couple of hours ago only and I could really use it[...]

In the locker room, I could really observe everyone. They're all Betas except three Omegas; Beth, Caitlin and Jordan. There's no real discrimination, but you can tell the three aren't very icluded in the group, not because they're told not to, just because they don't know how to. I could really see that this team is divided and that's something I have to work on. I talked to Joe a lot so he could tell me about the formation we're playing in tonight and tactical stuff. I'm starting, obviously. I can tell most of them are wondering why. None of them knows what I am except Viv, Jill and the coach. I told them not to tell the others for now. I didn't know when the moment would come, but I knew it wouldn't take too long for all of them to know.

The game started and it wasn't too hard to find the rythm and to go with it. Everton wasn't really a big challenge. They weren't bad, it just wasn't comparable to the level of my team.

After another of their unsuccessful attack, we turned around towards their goal to go score one more goal. Well, that was our plan. The only problem is that we got stopped dead in our tracks when the other team committed a dreadful challenge on Beth. It was horribly timed and way too high. The referee blew her whistle and the game stopped.

"What was that?" I asked the other team's player who just did the foul as I got in her face. "You could've hurt her badly!" I raised my voice. "So what?" She shrugged. "She's just an Omega. It doesn't matter if she gets hurt. It will just be for the better. You should thank me" she said. "What did you say?" I scoffed as I pushed her backwards. "Stop it, you two!" The referee shouted at us after the player pushed me back. "No" I said as I shoved her out of my way. "You really want to start something you can't finish, little one" the girl provoked me as her eyes glew with a vibrant golden yellow. Well, fuck it for being lowkey. "Are you sure about that?" I smirked as mine turned in a powerful and intense red.

Her eyes immediately stopped glowing and she backed down. "Stop this now, Daan" Viv told me as she stood in front of me. "You're just going to get carded for that, it's not worth it" she said. I knew she was right, but it didn't stop the fact that I wanted to knock the other girl's teeth out one by one.

The referee gave her a yellow and I got one as well. The only difference is that I didn't walk out the field with a limp. To be fair, it was a very legal foul. She deserved it.

The game ended 5-0 for us. I got two goals and three assists which isn't too shabby. "So hmm you're an alpha?" Leah asked me. "Yup. Surprise" I replied as we reached the locker room. "Do you want the armband? You can be captain if you want" Kim offered me. "I wouldn't be such a great captain from what you all saw. This belongs to you. Keep it. You earned it" I declined and I saw that she was relieved. I'd be too. Suddenly, I heard a whimper. It was sort of a cry.

Our species evolved throughout the years to ressemble the wolves. We copied their hierarchy. The Alphas senses are heightened to allow them to be as powerful as they can be to make sure they can protect their pack. We're not werewolves or anything. We don't shift during the full moon or have razor sharp fangs and claws. We just have glowing eyes and better senses than primitive humans.

Our ancestors understood that the lone wolves never survive and that we have more chances surviving if we're in groups, in packs. Alphas always have packs, otherwise they would be Omegas. The same way, there can't be two Alphas in one pack. It simply cannot work so they fight for the power. It's another thing when one pack doesn't have an Alpha. Then, the first one to show up would become the leader.

Just like in my case. Arsenal doesn't have any real leader. That way, when I came in, the team automatically became mine. The girls were immediately linked to me by a bond beyond explainable. That's how I knew one of them was in trouble.

Honestly, I don't know how I found them, but I did. I just followed my instinct. I was right to do so.

When I arrived, a group of Everton players were surrounding one of mine. "This is your fault" one of them said as she pointed to her leg. "Pretty sure it's mine" I said. They all turned to look at me. "Walk away and no one gets hurt. You know I could end all of your careers right now. Either because you accidentally had a career ending injury or because a little bird talked to the FA president and politely asked them to let you go. So, what's it going to be?" I asked them. "You know, we'll remember this" the taller one said. "Please do" I waved at them as they left.

"Are you okay?" I asked Beth as her head was still burried in her hands. "They're going to come for you" she sniffled. "Probably" I shrugged. "Why'd you do this?" She asked me. "Do what?" I frowned. "Why are you here? Why'd you defend me?" She questioned me. "Why wouldn't I? You're a member of this team and a part of my pack. I'm not going to let some assholes mistreat you or any other of the girls" I told her.

"What's wrong?" I asked her. "I'm so tired" she murmured. She marked a pause but I knew it wasn't my turn to speak just yet. "This is all so unfair. Why do I have to be treated like shit just because of these!" She exclaimed as she finally looked at me with her real eyes. Her eyes are deep and captivating, but unless the usual Omega eyes, they weren't cold. "I didn't do anything to deserve this. Our destiny is sealed the moment we're born. There's nothing we can do about it. You were born with red eyes and that gave you a free pass to wealth and power. I was born with blue eyes and I'm doomed. I'm always going to be beat up as I'm walking home from the store. I'm always going to be watched while I'm in it so I don't steal anything. I'm always going to be overlooked and ignored because my eyes are blue. It's just so unfair. Even here I'm not treated equally. Everyone has nice flats or apartments and I don't even have a kitchen and there's a hole in my floor. I'm so tired" Beth told me as she burried her face in her hands once again.

"Things here are going to be different from now on" I said. She stayed quiet. "How would you like having a kitchen?" I asked her. "What?" She frowned as she looked up at me. "What if you could have a kitchen, a walk-in closet and a 60 inches flat screen and even a waffle maker right now?" I asked her. "How?" She questioned. "Come live with me. I have this condo. Way too big for me to live in by myself. Think about it, a waffle maker!" I told her and she finally laughed. "I don't deserve this" she shook her head. "Neither do I" I replied. "I don't have holes in my floor" I added. "Are you sure?" She asked me. "Yes" I nodded.

"Come on now. Let's go home" I told her.