Chapter 7

"Hi" Daan said as I walked in the house. "It smells good in here" I noted. "I made some curry if you want" she told me as she put some in a bowl. "It's too tempting to say no" I replied as I dropped my bag on the floor. "The game is about to start" she informed me. "What game?" I asked as I followed her to the living room. "Barcelona versus Atlético" she answered. "Oh fun" I said as I sat down beside her.

"Do you know some of the players?" I asked her. I learned that Daan is a very social girl so she basically is friends with everyone that doesn't hate her. "Are you kidding? My best friend plays for Barcelona with all my other friends and well, my ex and I have some good friends at Atlético" she told me. If I had known the answer, I wouldn't have asked because here I was, examining every player in blue and red, wondering which one was in the same position as me. "I can almost hear you thinking" Daan said as she kept her eyes glued to the screen. "Do you now?" I chuckled. "What's bugging you?" She asked me. "Nothing" I lied. "You know better than to try to fool me" she shook her head. "Fine. I'm just trying to guess which one is your ex-girlfriend" I admitted. "You could've just asked. It's number 15" she told me. Just as she said that, the cameraman zoomed on the girl. I forgot how to breathe. She was absolutely gorgeous. "It just didn't work out. I don't do long distance relationships. We're good friends now and that's all we were ever meant to be. If you ever see her texting me to come over, it's not what you think" Daan warned me. "What is it then?" I asked with a way harsher tone than I wanted. "They've all been trying to convince me to go play in Spain with them for years now. I never wanted to" she explained as she put her arm around my shoulders. "Why didn't you?" I wondered out loud. "I don't know. It just wasn't the right time or the right move for me. And now, I've even got a reason to stay here" she replied as she finally took her eyes off the tv.

Things have been strange between us since the day my family showed up uninvited. We kind of outed our feelings, but nothing as changed. Well actually, I expressed my feelings. She didn't say much and she still hasn't said much about the reason she locked herself in her room that day. Knowing her, it's not simple at all, but it's better to let it go until she's ready to speak. Otherwise I would never get to know the answer.

Back to what I was saying, nothing has changed. It's a little more cozy between us, but everything is still the same: We wake up, eat breakfast, go to the club, practice, eat lunch, practice more before we come back, eat dinner, watch a little bit of television then go to bed. She cuddles me a little sometimes, but that's all. I think that's the most intimate thing we ever do. Nothing's changed and I'm afraid to ask for more, scared that it will all go away.

"I can still hear you thinking obnoxiously loud" Daan said. "Come on. Tell me what's wrong" she demanded as she closed the tv. I immediately felt the need to answer. We've been working hard on my old habits, but it's hard to throw 25 years old demeanors in weeks. It's in my nature to submit to Alphas and that's what was happening. "I'm sorry. I'd like you to tell me what's on your mind if that'd help you" she rephrased her previous sentence. "I'm just wondering why nothing's changed between us after that day" I finally told her. "Oh" she nodded slowly. That wasn't the reaction I expected.

"It's pretty simple actually" she replied after a good minute of complete radio silence. "I liked the way we were living before all of that and I think that's mainly why we ended feeling the way we do so I didn't want to change that" she said. "Also" she sighed. "I've been thinking about what your father said" she added. "What?" I blurted out. "Just hear my out, please. I know I'm not using you, but I still can't ignore the fact that it's maybe what's really happening. I have to watch the way that I talk to you so I don't trigger the whole hierarchy thing involuntarily. Whenever I say something as an order, you feel forced to do it. I don't want to use you. I want to make sure it wasn't your instinct speaking. I know I'm very charming, but I'm still unsure wether your feelings are coming from you or your eyes" she explained. I think she was expecting me to be angry, but I actually understood her reasoning. "Well I'm telling you it's totally coming from me, but I get it. At least now I know it's not all the same" I told her. "Obviously it isn't" she said as she pulled me closer.