Chapter 2

When I woke up, I was totally panicked. I jumped out of bed with all my senses in alert. Then I remembered. I wasn't in Sweden anymore. As soon as the realization hit me, I could finally stop holding my breath. I have to stop thinking about it. I'm in London now. This is my chance to start over and forget the past. It would be easier if the past would stop haunting me.

I got out of my room to go make myself a coffee. That was until I realized there's basically no food and no tableware and there's a lot of things we need. "Good morning" I told Beth when I heard her careful steps behind me. "Good morning" she said as she avoided looking at me directly. "Are you alright?" I asked her. "Yeah" she nodded. That's when I realized I wasn't wearing a shirt I was only in my sports bra and shorts. I'll have to adapt to the fact I'm not living alone anymore. "Oh sorry about that. Are you coming to the store with me? There's a lot of things we really need" I told her. "Yes" she accepted. "Good then let's go. I'm starving" I told her as I grabbed my keys. "Are you not going to put a shirt?" She asked me. "Right" I replied. There was a hoodie on the hanger so I grabbed it and put it on. As I passed it over my head, I noticed it wasn't my scent at all. It's probably hers. Anyways, it wasn't an unpleasant smell, not at all.

"Can we stop by at my place before? I have to go pick some things up" Beth asked me. "Of course. It's not your place anymore though" I told her. She didn't say anything, but I could tell the idea of never going back there was pretty appealing to her. After a short drive, we finally stopped in front of a very suspicious building. "It won't be long" she told me before she disappeared inside one of the door. In the meantime, I texted a couple of girls to tell them I was going shopping since they offered to help me out with all that. Two of them replied pretty quickly. I told them to meet us at the store in thirty.

When I closed my phone, I noticed Beth still wasn't back. That's it. I couldn't wait anymore so I got out of the car, decided to go help her. When I turned the handle, I thought it was about to fall off. I had barely stepped in that my foot fell into a hole. She didn't lie about that. The apartment, if I can even call it like that, looked miserable. Beth was sitting on the bed, looking around. "Are you okay?" I asked her as I sat beside her. "Are you sure about this?" She asked me. "About what?" I frowned. "Me moving in with you. If you change your mind some day it'll be too late because I won't be able to come back here" she told me. "I'm totally sure. And even if something happens, not that I think it ever will, I'm not going to kick you out or leave you helpless. I promise" I assured her. "Thank you for everything" she told me. "I didn't do much yet" I shrugged. "You did though. And I'm so grateful for it. It means much more than you realize, Daniëlle" she said. "Please, my friends call me Daan and I'm glad I could help you" I replied as I let myself fall onto the bed.

"I heard you scream in the middle of the night" Beth nervously said. "Oh" I sat back up. "It was just a nightmare. It doesn't happen that often so it should be fine" I lied. Actually, I've been having bad dreams every night since I left Sweden. Back home, I would wake up every night covered in sweat and with my heart beating out of my chest. What I did and what happened keeps coming back to bite me in the ass, but I can't tell the girls. It would only endanger them. "Let's go shopping" I told her as I jumped out of bed.

We put all her clothes in the car and drove to the store where Steph and Leah were waiting for us. They didn't seem to mind Beth at all which was very good. We ended up with a cart full of things I'm not even quite sure we'll ever need. Beth wasn't really getting involved in the decisions. When we were debating wether or not to get the black table mats, she wouldn't say a word when Steph and Leah would get into an entire debate when they're not even the ones who'll use them. With what she told me earlier, I know now that's it's because she still hasn't processed the fact that she's living there. I can't blame her though. I literally came out of nowhere one day and asked her to live with me. That's worse than saying I love you on the first date.