Chapter 6

We won against Spain 3-1. I scored, had an asisst and a decisive pass. Pretty great game. We all flew back in the evening. We all slept the whole flight. We parted at the airport since we weren't all going to the same city. Lisa came to pick us up. She was so excited to see us, it was cute. She invited us over, but I really just wanted to go back to my place and crash. She dropped me off and I thanked her for the lift.

When I walked in, all the lights were off. I assumed Beth was asleep so I just went in my room silently to avoid waking her up. I took off my shirt and put it on my desk. I got changed as fast as I could considering I couldn't see anything because I refused to open the light. When I finally put my shorts the right way, I slipped in my bed. Ugh it felt good to be in my own things. I don't enjoy hotels that much. When I rolled over, I felt something hard against me. "Daan?" I heard. It scared me so much that I fell out of the bed. "Beth?" I asked as I tried to open the light.

When I finally did it, the first thing I saw was her looking at me. "God, you scared me so much" I sighed. "Sorry. I didn't think you were coming back until tomorrow" she said as she got up. "Where are you going?" I asked her as I stood up as well. "Hmm I don't know" she realized. "Lay back. It's late. Let's just sleep" I told her as I motioned to the bed. "Yeah" she murmured as she got back in. "You're still alseep aren't you?" I asked her as I pulled the blankets so it would cover her. "Yeah" she mumbled as she rolled on her side to face me. "I missed you" she said as she extended her arm to touch my face. "I did too. Now go to sleep. You need it" I kissed her hand before I faced the other way to avoid any further contact, but it really wasn't efficient since one second later, I felt her head agaisnt my back. I was too exhausted to do anything about it. And, I didn't mind. At some point, I even turned so her head would be on my chest. We were both tired. We didn't know what we were doing. It will never happen again so might as well let it happen. Well, that's what I was telling myself.

The next morning when I opened my eyes, she wasn't there anymore. I started stretching and rubbing my eyes when I suddenly stopped. I could hear voices, but it wasn't Beth's or any of our teammates'. I jumped out of bed and opened the door.

I quickly scanned the room and my eyes went wide. I just stood there like an idiot while they were all looking at me. Beth's family. I quickly shut the door again. For fuck's sake. What are they doing here at 9 in the morning. Beth would've told me if she knew they were coming. They probably thought I looked like such an idiot. Damn it!

I got dressed appropriately and built the nerves to come out for a hot minute. "Good morning" I said as I walked out. "You must be Daniëlle. Beth told us a lot about you" Her mother told me as I locked eyes with her daughter. She seemed like she wanted to fade into the furnitures. "I'm happy to meet you" I told her before she pulled me in an uncomfortable hug. "I'm Richard" her dad simply said as I walked passed him. Clearly the opposite of June. Ben was there too. I already met him because he came to one of the games I attended while I was injured and we talked. "I told you you should shave" I teased him as I passed him to get to the kitchen. "Good morning" I told Beth as I reached the cabinet over her head to get a mug. "I didn't know they were coming" she murmured to me. "Me neither" I replied as I kept smiling.

"We were thinking about going shopping today. Would you like to come?" June asked me. "Oh I don't think that's-" I started to say before I got stopped. Beth had reached for my hand as I was walking behind her and squeezed it. "What was that?" June frowned. "I was saying it would be my pleasure to come" I told her. "Great. We'll wait for you in the car" she said as she grabbed her purse and left with Richard on her heels. "You were so going to decline" Ben chuckled when they closed the door. "Of course I was. I think your dad hates me" I finally stopped holding my breath. Both of them suddenly seemed uncomfortable. "What is it?" I asked. "I think he doesn't have a problem with you, but with your eyes" Ben told me as he headed for the door. "We'll wait for you two" he said before he left.