CHAPTER 3

Elin arrived at the cottage in the Forest of Rever. The said forest was inhabited by monsters since it was closer to the border of Kingdom of Fraus. A border between two opposing forces. One was her home, and the other was the Kingdom of Caris where demons called Hellion reside.

Elin has been hiding here since she was young. Whenever she feels melancholic, Elin would stay here with Nero. She knew she would be safe with him despite the danger lurking.

She quickly dressed herself with the clothes Nero prepared. Elin stopped midway contemplating.

“Nero, how were you able to carry such clothes if you’re that small?”, Elin just stared at the black fairy floating in front of her.

“I...

Uhhh.

Used the p-portal”, Nero stuttered.

“If you even have time to think about something useless, can’t you just finish what your doing right now?”, he resumed while pointing at the woman partially clothed.

Elin knew something was off since Nero was really bad at lying.When Nero lies, he plays with his index finger but as he said, it’s pointless to pursue such trivial topic so she dismissed it and continued dressing herself.

“Your parents seem to be in shambles right now. They’re talking with each other. Would you like to hear?”, Nero hesitated sharing the information.

For Elin to be currently weary, she does not need more vexing news but she needs to hear the words herself.

Before, when Elin heard such ability from Nero, she was reluctant to eavesdrop. She considered it as an invasion of privacy. However, the reason she hesitated was finding out the truth.

The words her parents utter...

The gossip her friends are spreading...

And most of all, the secrets and lies her fiance has been hiding...

She was avoiding the truth as much as possible. In this cruel world, it would be better to remain clueless.

Would you choose to be ignorant and happy or knowledgeable but upset?

Ignorance is bliss indeed. What you don’t know cannot hurt you and Elin just wanted to be happy eventhough she was living a lie.

“Connect the shadow, Nero. I need to know what they’re upto”, Elin sat on the bed comfortably.

Nero closed his eyes and made a small human-like appearance of a shadow. He connected the shadow of Elin’s parents to such entity. As soon as it was connected, the doll began talking. What came out seems to be the voices of Elin’s parents.

“That good-for-nothing child! She had to die in a fire? What’s the use of her being a water bearer if she can’t even put out such measly fire?”, Duke Nereus ranted while striking his wooden table for a loud thud was heard in the shadow.

“We can’t do anything about it. She was pierced by that sword”, Duchess Scylla expresssed in dismay.

The sword of Orcus was known for its majestic appearance. The very same sword that pierced Elin. Contrary to its appearance, the sword was known for its ability to kill anyone instantly. Its blade drains all its victim’s mana until nothing is left. A nightmare to all magic-dependent individual.

“How are we going to monitor the prince now? We can’t let him use what we have against us”, the duchess seemed worried.

“We need to do something about it. He is part of this plan. If the Prince will go against us now, His name will be dragged as well. I have a feeling that he will monopolize it and destroy our house in return”, the duke retorted.

“Nero, enough”, Elin sounded forlorn. The fairy immediately stopped the talking doll. She laid down the bed and closed her eyes. Her parents seemed to worry more of their business than her. 

“Even death cannot move their hearts”, she muttered while tears fell down her cheeks. 

All the stress that accumulated within her slowly dissipated and Elin fell into a deep sleep.

Nero went near the bed. He glowed momentarily while approaching Elin. The small black fairy was nowhere to be seen. Instead, a fullgrown man with pitch black hair and eyes that twinkle like the night sky appeared. The kind of eye were you get lost while staring.

 The kind of eye were you get lost while staring

He rested his head near the edge of the bed. He softly wiped the tears and slowly caressed the woman’s cheek.

“You have done enough, Elin”, Nero mumbled.