4.

Jack's POV

"Alright, the suits will be ready a month from today."

Daniel nodded to the man and turned back to Mason and I.

"So, drinks anyone?"

"I would, but I promised Melody to pick her up from the bridal shop. I would invite you, but I wouldn't want you to see Peg in a dress before the big day. Besides, you two should catch up."

Daniel smiled and waved me off as I headed back to my car.

After parking my car I headed inside the shop.

"How can I help you sir?"

"Hello, is Ms.Carter's bridal party here-"

I stopped short. At the other side of the room stood Melody, standing in a wedding gown.

Her eyes met mine, her cheeks reddening.

The v-neckline and short sleeves lay softly on her chest. A small knot pulled the fabric and your eyes to her waist. The dress hugged her curves, the end of the hem just meeting the ground. Silky, long gloves and a dancing lace veil pulled it all together.

I slowly walked towards her, trying to focus on my breathing. It felt as if there was no air in the room.

"What do you think?" she said softly.

My finger traced the pattern of the lace, making my head spin.

"I..."

She looked at me for a complete answer, but I couldn't form any words.

"I guess I'll go change then."

She turned away from me and headed for the changing room.

I could tell Melody was upset in the car. We didn't speak the whole ride back to my apartment. She brushed past me walking up the stairs and let herself in quickly. By the time I reached my apartment she was heading down the hall.

"Where are you going?" I called after her.

She spun on her heel to shoot daggers at me.

"So now he speaks."

My eyes drifted to the floor of the hallway.

"I'm going out, don't follow me."

And with that, Melody stormed down the hall.

Melody's POV

I'd been angry with Jack before, but this was a whole different kind of pissed. How could he not say anything? Not one compliment, completely embarrassing me in front of my friends and the whole store.

I didn't even know where I was going, everything is closed on New Year's Day.

Peggy had to make a special appointment for the bridal shop because of how soon the wedding is coming up. January air nipped at my nose, snow seeping into my stockings. It was freezing, but there was no way in hell I was going back to Jack's apartment right now.

I weaved through the streets of New York, past stores and restaurants, apartments and hotels. My feet hurt, my hands were ice, but I continued forward.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw a large, dark lump at the end of an alleyway. I approached it, quickly realizing it was a body.

He was laying face-down, crimson blood soaking the fresh snow.

With a grunt I turned him over to reveal his face.

It was Roberto.