6.

Jack's POV

Around noon I heard a tap on my office door. Daniel entered with my lunch order and slid the chinese box to me while pulling up a seat.

"So, I heard about the bridal shop incident."

"Oh great, has she told everyone?"

"Not...everyone. Samberly in the lab still doesn't know that you didn't compliment your significant other when she was in a wedding dress."

I leaned back in my chair and rubbed my temples.

"I just froze. I can't explain it. She was just..."

"She took your breath away?"

"It's more than that...whatever. I don't want to talk about it anymore."

We dug into our chinese food in silence. After work I lingered behind, absorbed by new cases I'd missed over the holidays. After a few hours I realized the rest of the office was silent, everyone had gone home.

I didn't know what was wrong with me. Why couldn't I compliment her? I needed to go and make this right.

Melody's POV

At home I sat on the counter in the kitchen in my slip and silk robe eating leftovers from lunch. I heard Jack's keys drop in the bowl, his leather briefcase being set on the table. He walked into the kitchen and took a step back.

"I didn't realize you were still awake."

He rubbed the back of his neck like he always did when he felt uncomfortable. Normally I would think this action was cute, but I was too upset to care.

He cleared his throat before speaking again.

"Um well, I guess I'm just gonna go to bed..."

I set down my chinese food and crossed my arms. He started to head out of the room before I spoke.

"You know if you really thought I looked so horrible you could've said so."

He stopped short, concern clouding his face.

"You think I didn't say anything because I thought you looked bad?"

I shrugged and looked away. Jack walked towards me, standing only inches away from my seat on the countertop.

"I didn't say anything because the moment I saw you in that dress, the next 50 years of my life flashed before my eyes. I got scared, scared of it all getting ruined. I didn't know what to say. But don't think for one minute that it had anything to do with how you looked. Seeing you in that dress...you were mesmerizing. Somewhere between the end of a rainbow and the start of heaven."

A tear slid down my cheek as Jack cupped my face. His lips inched closer to mine, the alluring smell of his cologne and the fresh night air enveloping my senses.

Pulse quickening, his hot breath making my skin prickle.

Finally Jack pulled me in for a kiss, the type that made my heart beat so fast I thought I might pass out.

The type that left me aching for more as he pulled away, still leaving his lips close to mine, just out of my reach. His waist was pressed up against my thighs, hands just hovering over my hips.

"Touch me," I whimpered.

"With pleasure."