13.

Finally the dead of February gave way to the renewed feeling of warmth. Spring buds sprouted from the cold soil, birds started to return from their vacation in the south.

It was a week out from the wedding, and there was still so much to be done. Daniel, Angie, Jack, Jarvis, Howard, and I all gathered at the automat to discuss a plan of action for finishing the wedding tasks.

"Alright, now that everyone has their jobs we can get started. I want to thank you guys on Peggy's behalf, I know she'll really appreciate all the help."

While everyone dispersed, I pulled Daniel aside.

"You look pretty nervous. Worried the bride will miss her wedding?"

Daniel cracked a small smile.

"Just want everything to be perfect for when she gets back. She deserves it."

"That's very sweet of you. Luckily, I don't think you'll have to worry anymore."

Daniel turned around and stared wide-eyed at Peggy, her suitcase still in hand. He ran to her, scooping her up into a hug.

"Is someone happy to see me?"

"You have no idea."

Jack hugged me from behind as we watched Peggy and Daniel reunite after almost a month apart. Peggy broke away and smiled at us.

"Melody and Jack, just who I wanted to see. On the plane back home I was so anxious about seeing everyone that I decided to decode those notes to relieve my stress. Here they are."

Peggy handed us the original notes and then copies of them uncoded.

"What did it say?"

"Well I can tell you one thing, that bank is not in New York. In fact, it's not in the United States at all."

I stared at her, shocked.

"Where is it then?"

"It doesn't say specifically, but I can tell by the stamps and the way of payment written out that it's being sent to and from another country. As for the notes from SBNY, that is a more informal payment. It's not a bank, it's a person. Sorry I couldn't be more of a help, but the notes were very brief."

"Thank you Peggy, this helps a lot."

Peggy nodded and went to say hello to everyone else.

"Well, I think this mystery is at a dead end."

"I'm not giving up on this."

"Mel, this bank could be anywhere in the world. There's no way to possibly figure out where it is. Plus, that could just be a code name for a whole other establishment. We'll never know for sure."

"A man was murdered for divulging the information about Frankie's wealth. I want to know why."

"I think you're just chasing a boogeyman at this point."

"Roberto died, my apartment was looted, possibly Frankie's house as well, and a load of mysterious notes with even more mysterious payments were found. How can you just be giving up on this?"

"Because someone is trying to get you in a vulnerable position and I can't have you getting hurt again."

I sighed, understanding his concern. Someone was after me, and it was probably best to leave some soil unturned to be safe.

Unfortunately for Jack, I was never good at letting things go.