14.

Jack's POV

"Mel, we're going to miss our flight if you don't hurry up."

"I can't find my red shoes!"

"You're wearing them."

Melody looked down and huffed. She hated being made fun of. I smirked and picked up our suitcases.

"C'mon sweetheart, London awaits!"

We reached the airport 15 minutes later, barely making it in time. I tipped the cab driver and hurried through the crowded terminal.

Melody and I got seats a few rows away from each other, her seat was ahead of mine. A dashing young man had the seat next to her.

I could tell her was trying to charm her by the way he was chatting her up. She laughed at one of his jokes and looked back at me.

I clenched my jaw and tried to unfurl my fists.

Her expression was amused as she turned back to the gentleman. After a few minutes she stood up and headed for the ladies room. As she passed I grabbed her arm.

"Is he bothering you?"

"Someone's feisty."

"Is he? I'll kick his ass if he is."

"You're just mad because I laughed at one of his jokes. Don't worry Jack, he's not nearly as good-looking as you."

The eight hour flight did a number on my energy levels. Stepping out into the London fog made my brain spin.

Tall red buses sprayed rain onto the sidewalks, mist hovered around the tops of buildings, and men dressed in the Royal Air Force uniforms passed by.

London streets still hadn't been scrubbed completely of the effects of the war.

I shook off the eerie feeling I got from the men in uniform and waited for Melody to hail a cab.

Luckily the traffic wasn't too bad, so we reached the hotel fairly quickly. I tipped the cabbie and grabbed our suitcases from the trunk.

The light-gray stone building had a homey feel to it, green vines shooting up the sides of the hotel. Inside was just as pleasant, complete with an oak fireplace and comfortable lounge.

"Welcome to Wolf Lodges. Your name sir?"

"Thompson."

Melody gave me a funny look.

"Alright Mr and Mrs.Thompson, your room is ready. Suite 403."

She handed me a pair of keys and rang for the bellboy. A lanky man in a red suit grabbed our bags and headed up the stairs.

"I thought you booked us two separate rooms, Jack."

"Why? We already live together. Plus, I'd miss you too much."

She rolled her eyes and grabbed my hand.

"C'mon, lets go check out the room."

Melody's POV

Boy, was the suite beautiful. Light, green plush blankets and pillows lay softly on the bed, a large limestone tub sat in the bathroom, and a comfortable living space reassured the welcoming feel.

French doors led out onto a balcony overlooking the impressive grounds of Wolf Lodges. There was a small pond, lawn chairs, and a manicured garden.

I stood leaning against the railing on the balcony, taking in the fresh air and lavish view. Jack hugged me from behind, burying his face in my neck.

"Did you see the size of the bed?" he murmured in my ear seductively.

"Mmhm. Those covers look a little too perfect. They need to be tousled around a bit."

Jack bit playfully at my ear and began to fool around with my blouse.

"Ahem."

I spun around quickly to see the bell boy standing awkwardly in the doorframe.

"Can I be of service in any other way for you today?"

"No thank you, here," Jack said, tucking a bill into his hand.

Jack stifled a laugh as he walked out the door. I smacked his arm and went to unpack my suitcase. Jack followed me and started working on hanging up his shirts.

"When are the others getting in?"

"Well Peggy and Daniel have been here for the past few days before we came here, just to settle in. Jarvis and Howard will probably be staying at one of Stark's houses in the country here. As for Angie and Luke, their flight gets in later this afternoon."

I tucked my suitcase into the closet and headed for the bed, suddenly feeling the five hour time difference. The plushy pillows welcomed my head, my body sinking further into the bed.

"If you don't mind I'm going to go check in with Daniel. He said he needed some last-minute help."

"Okay, have fun."

My eyes were closed before Jack had time to leave the suite. Sleep enveloped me, but all my dreams were filled with bank statements and encrypted text.

I needed to solve this case, no matter what it took.