Part 6: What a Coincidence

I see Blair Silver again the next day after dismissal. I load up my backpack, then tell Jillian I'm going to the bathroom. And I am. I just so happen to take the long way around, meaning I pass Ms. Devons' classroom. I seem to time it perfectly because I turn the corner to the hallway where Ms. Devons' classroom is right as a tall figure exits. It takes me under a second to know it's Blair Silver, even with his back turned and a few metres between us. He sees me right about the same time and raises an eyebrow at me. I blush a little as I pass by him. He falls into step beside me.

"What a coincidence," he murmurs, and I blush even more.

"Yup," I say way too loudly. I blush more and glance up at him. He looks amused. There's a moment of silence before I blurt (also too loudly), "Why were you in Ms. Devons' classroom? Because you don't go to this school, and you're old too, right?- not like, old, old, but you're like, older than us. Me. My grade. You've graduated- right? I don't know, it just seems like- yeah. So... why?"

His lips are curved enough to count as a smile now, but he's also raising an eyebrow at me, so I don't know exactly what that makes it. "Why was I in my mom's classroom?"

"Yeah, why were you in your mom's-" it takes me a second to realize that he just answered my question. "Oh! Because she's your mom."

He's really smiling now, and his dimples are driving me nuts. I bite my lip, trying so hard not to just stare at him like a creepy person. Am I still creepy if I don't stare at him, but I want to? Is it the act of staring the part that's creepy, or is the want to do it enough? And if wanting to stare is creepy, then is the act of resisting enough to redeem a person?

I realize we've passed the bathrooms and we're turning into the hallway where my locker is. He's still walking alongside me, and the thought of that alone is enough to make me nearly swoon. I can't believe I haven't tripped yet.

I notice Jillian leaning against her locker, scrolling through her phone. She hears our footsteps (the hallways are relatively empty now) and looks up. Her jaw practically hits the floor when she sees Blair Silver walking beside me.

Unsurprisingly, I trip the second I'm distracted. Literally over air. Also, as I should be learning to expect by now, Blair catches me and places me back on my feet. I blush and mumble a thank you, and intentionally keep my gaze trained in front of me. I stop when we get to Jillian, and he does too. She stares at him for a moment longer before looking at me.

"I was wondering why you were taking so long to go to the bathroom."

"Oh, you were going to the bathroom?" he asks in an amused tone, and I blush.

"I was. But then... I forgot."

Jillian sighs, though she's smiling a little. Blair looks entertained.

"I did!" I exclaim, trying to defend myself, but I'm sure my entire face is bright red.

"Alright," Blair says, not sounding like he really believes me and still looking like he's amused but trying not to smile too much (his dimples are showing).

Jillian doesn't look like she believes me either. "Right. Well, we'd better get going, before we miss our bus."

Blair is smirking a little now, and I blush even more under his gaze. "Y-yeah. I'd better... we should... yeah let's go." I grab Jillian's arm and pull her towards the stairwell. She slaps my hand away as soon as possible, telling me she's not letting me pull her down with me when I trip. Which is valid, considering my main reason for tripping is distraction, who is basically right behind us.

But just before we enter the stairwell, I look over my shoulder (which is dangerous, when you're as clumsy as I am) to look at Blair Silver. He's smiling, and I almost trip over air again from the blinding gorgeousness of it.