Part 25: The Mall

Wednesday comes along. Jillian's seemed a lot better, so I'm not too worried about going out with Blair. I still a bit guilty about leaving her side to go hang out with my boyfriend, because her love life hasn't been working out well lately, but she tells me it's fine and not to worry about it without me even saying anything. Honestly, I have no idea what incredible thing I did to deserve having a best friend like Jillian in my life.

Still, when I go to find Blair after school, my heart's not totally in it. He can tell, and offers to drive me home if I'm not in the mood to go out, but I shake my head and tell him I'm okay. Besides, we're going to Chapters so I can get the sequel to the book I got (correction: Blair bought me) last time, which is something I'd probably do anyways. 

I still feel kind of guilty going into Chapters, though, until I'm actually inside. Being in the presence of books never fails to make me feel lighter. Calmer. Like even before I'm reading them, they're an escape from the outside stresses of life (namely, Elliot stressing out my best friend because he doesn't know she likes him).

Blair notices and gives me that look, the one he gives me when he thinks I'm doing something cute. I wrinkle my nose at him, then go to the section of the store where I found the book I bought last time.

I find the book I'm looking for easily, and promptly discover that there's a third book as well. I look up at Blair excitedly. "It's a trilogy!"

He smiles (with dimples). "Get both, then."

I grin, pulling both books off the shelf. "I will. And I have enough money to get both, this time."

"Convenient," he comments as I start making my way down the aisle (very slowly; I have to look at all of the other books on my way) to the cashier.

Eventually, we get out of Chapters, me with a bag containing my two new books in one hand, and Blair's hand in the other. He's still smiling at me in that way, and my cheeks are threatening to heat up. I eye him suspiciously. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

He smiles a little more, releasing my hand to put his arm around my waist instead. "Because you're adorable."

Aaand that's enough to make me start blushing. He smirks (still with dimples, though, so it's kind of a smile) and presses a soft kiss to my temple. I press my lips together to try not to start grinning like an idiot. Blair tends to have that effect on me- excessive blushing and smiling.

We get to the food court. I scowl as I realize I spent the money I brought to buy food on the second book I bought. Blair smirks, seeming to have figured the same thing. "What's wrong?"

I try to force my mouth into a scowl again as I look up at him. It's much more difficult than it should be, since he's looking quite pleased. "I don't need food. I have books."

He grins even more. "How did I know that was going to be your argument?" 

I'm now fighting a losing battle with my face, so I just look away and glare at the ground. Blair lets out a soft hum, tugging me closer to him. I lean into him almost unconsciously. It's impossible not to enjoy being in his arms.

"So we're not going to get anything to eat?"

I hesitate. "I just had lunch a few hours ago... and my parents want me home for dinner."

He's started drawing small circles against my waist. "At least let me buy you dessert, then."

I melt against him a little, unable to stop myself from nodding. He presses a soft kiss to my forehead, and I can tell that he's smiling. I look up at him, giving up on not smiling. "You're so smug."