xii

"Okay syd, I've thought long and hard about it."
"What's your answer?"
"As tempting as your offer was, and I mean it was so fucking hard to not say yes without thinking it through, I'm going to have to decline." Syd sighed, running a hand through her hair.
"Clay...Clayyyy why would you do this to me." Syd just knew he was smiling on his end and he was. There was no way Clay could really be mad at Syd or upset with her. "If your serious, I want you to video call me and say it to my face." They chuckled.
"Okay. Fine." She smiled, making sure her stream wouldn't be able to see him. His face appeared and Syd tried her best to look intimidating but couldn't help but smile softly.
"Now tell me you are passing up the opportunity for me to get on the first flight I can to Florida."
"Syd.." he began to speak, his lips curling into a smile. "As happy as it would make me to spend more than 18 hours with you, I just can't let the others down." Clay frowned, running a hand through his hair.
"Hm...I see where your priorities stand." Syd was joking, she couldn't be mad at him. She left the call without saying another word, joining the call with the L'Manberg boys. "Tommy, I need you to kick his ass. My plan backfired."
"BIG S YOU SAID YOU HAD IT!"
"I KNOW BUT HE ISNT AS BIG OF A SIMP AS I THOUGHT."
"SYD WHAT THE HELL."
"TOMMY REMEMBER WHAT I SAID BIG MAN! YOU GOT THIS. WILBUR TELL HIM."
"Yeah, Tommy you got this." Wilbur spoke softly and soon the duel began. Everyone watched as the two intensely dueled. Before they knew it, Tommy was dead. The cheers of the other team filled everyone's ears before Tommy spoke up.
"Hey—Hey Dream, let's chat real quick big man. General 3." The two disappeared leaving everyone else to talk. Before they knew it, Tommy joined the L'Manberg call. "We did it boys. We won."
"Wait what?"
"Big man what's going on?"
"Big S, Wilbur, I traded the discs for our Independence." They all cheered.

@SyddtheKidd
won the war, feeling
      |
      — @Tommyinnit
            YEAH BIG S!!

     |
     —@TubboLive
          L'MANBERG FOR THE WIN!!

      |
      — @dreamwastaken2
           why am I regretting my decision

Syd smiled, sitting on her couch drinking her tea. She was in a group video call with her fellow L'Manberg men.
"Tommy, I can't believe you almost choked even after syd gave you pointers.." Wilbur teased
"Listen, I know I'm all talk most of the time but no one will ever be as good as Syd." Everyone chuckled.
"Thanks Tommy." She smiled.
"Well, I think what Tommy did was incredibly selfless and showed just how much he cares about L'Manberg." Toby spoke.
"Thanks Toby." Tommy smiled, the rest of the call being filled with small talk.

Once Tommy and Toby left, it just left Wilbur and Syd.
"Be honest Will, did George trash my apartment at all?" He chuckled.
"No actually, Clay wouldn't let him. He would nag at him if he left anything out." Syd smiled widely. "If you don't mind me asking, what is going on between the two of you."
"Uh...I don't know. I mean we're friends." Syd mumbled, the tea in her cup became suddenly fascinating.
"Forgive me, I don't want to pry or anything, I was just curious."
"No no it's okay. Just confusing I guess."
"I get it, but trust me it'll all work out in the end."
"Thanks Will, I think I'm going to call it a night. I'll talk to you later. Night."
"Don't mention it, night syd." The call ended leaving Syd with her thoughts. Did she like clay? Or was she confusing the feeling of a friendship for the feeling of a relationship.

——

Clay laid in his bed, on the phone with sapnap as he streamed. "We fought a war today dream, and now I'm trying to spreedrun."
"Yeah I know, and I feel like an idiot."
"Why...oh—OH."
"Yeah." Sapnap chuckled. "On the bright side, you got the discs."
"Yeah yeah I did. I know."
"Just a minute guys I need to do something." Sapnap moves to discord, messaging clay.

sapnap: hey man, I can tell something's up. I can end the stream if you need to talk.
Dream: no it's okay.

Sapnap sighed, unmuting his mic. "Hey guys, I'm sorry I'm going to cut the stream a little early today. Thank you for coming and I'll catch you guys next time." Sapnap ended the stream and his full attention was on clay.
"You didn't have to do that."
"I know. What's wrong man."
"She offered to come on the first flight to Florida. I passed that up because I wanted to win and we ended up losing."
"The whole war was a bit, why are you getting so hung up on it?"
"She was being dead serious. I had this stupid plan with George to surprise her when I landed. She ended up arriving in Florida the same day I was leaving. I only got to see her for less than a day and I felt bad the entire time because she had just gotten off a 9 hour flight."
"Clay man, it's okay. If she was being serious she'll do it eventually. Don't let it eat you up."
"I know I'm just..." he sighed. "I'm just crazy about her." Clay spoke with a smile. It was the first time he admitted it.