Chapter Fourteen

Hyun Bin had had a happy childhood. Being an only child and the king in the Hyun's house had allow him to do and have whatever he wanted, even so he had been raised as a respectful, kind, responsible, and caring kid.

He had it all: toys, excellent grades at school, good friends and loving parents. The only thing he could wish for was a sibling to play and have fun.

He would constantly ask his parents for a brother or a sister, but it was only when he reached a certain age, that he finally understood the situation behind her mom's tears. His parents would never be able to have another child and he could never be able to have siblings.

As he was growing up, Bin tried to give his parents the best of him, so that he could, somehow, help them overcome their emotional pain. Even as a teenager, he never gave his parents anything to worry about, he continued being a good son.

Eventually, he left them behind to reach his own goals.

He was admitted at the Seoul National University to study English Language and Literature, he graduated as a straight A student and with a job offer in a prestigious literary publisher.

He started from the bottom, but he worked his ass off and, little by little, he made a name of his own.

But every rise has its fall and his glory days came to an end.

A couple of months after being named book editor at Daewon C. I. Inc., he received the call that change his life forever. His father had just died because of a heart attack.

From that moment on, everything went down.

He took some days off from work to be with his mother at the funeral, he was her only support, so he had to be strong for her.

When the moment to get back to Seoul came, it was really difficult for him because he didn't want her to be alone, so he tried to convince her to go with him to the city, but she had insisted that Hongdo was her home.

It had only been two weeks when received a new call from her mom. She hadn't been feeling good, but she had assumed her physical exhaustion was caused by the grief of her loss, but as it had remained for days and days, she had had to go to see a doctor.

Bin was expecting for the worst as he was listening to his mom by the phone, but what she told him next was, frankly, unbelievable. After 26 years of being unable to have another child, she was about 5 weeks pregnant, at her late forties.

His mom and his late dad had made up with not being able to have more children a long time ago. Instead of thinking on what they couldn't have, they had focused all their love and efforts on what they actually had, their beloved son.

They had lived a happy marital life, even when Bin had left and there were just the two of them.

But sometimes, the things you expect the most happen when you least expect it to happen, when you are done with expecting.

To everyone surprise, Bin's mom had conceived. It was a miracle, as she used to say.

It was not a secret that hers was a high-risk pregnancy, she was very aware of that, but no one really had expected the outcome, much less Bin.

He had had to take big decisions while everything was happening so fast. His whole life had taken a 180 degree turn and soon he had seen himself with a newborn in his arms, with nobody to take care of her, but him.

His life, full of commodities, books, love and friends, left to make way to sleepless nights, dirty diapers and vomit. He had left behind his job, some friends and had lost his girlfriend, certainly his new life was not easy at all.