xvii.

Angel
"We were always meant to say goodbye."
—-

Riley had been gone for days again. I wasn't surprised, even a little bit. I'd say I was close to giving up on her but everyone would know it was a fucking lie. That girl was my weakness.

"Just when I thought we would have her back," Wolf muttered at the breakfast table, drinking his coffee moodily, days after we last saw her. No one else seemed to have even suspected that the dead McKenna sister was pregnant. And It wasn't my place to say anything. Not at all.

A text dinged on Wolf's phone. I was next to him and could just barely see the screen. It said: Riley (Wolfpack): we need to talk. About Brynn.

Wolf grimaced, looking torn. He shoved the phone in the pocket of his VP cut, "Been summoned, man." I said nothing as he left. She didn't want me. I thought about asking if he needed back up but I didn't have the energy for the bullshit.

I carried on with my day, going through the motions, working at the garage for Wolf. It was around 7pm before Trace came and got me.

"Let's talk."

I scooted from under the engine of one of the vans that had been sounding funny. I followed him obediently. Trace needed me. I had a purpose.

He led me towards the lit fire pit. No one was around except Killer and Maven, chasing after each other. I smiled for the first time today, watching the dogs play. I sat down in an old lawn chair.

Trace threw a log on the fire, taking a seat next to me and placing his hands in front of him in a steeple motion. "I haven't heard back any of the information that I baited for the rat."

My eyes wandered up to his, slowly lighting a joint in the process. I didn't know what to do with my hands, and I was nervous. This wasn't good news for the club. At all.

"Alright..." what was he thinking?

"I think the only way we'll find out is if we pick Rage up again." I stared up at Trace, questioningly.

"And still let him go this time?" I asked, exhaling smoke slowly. It was no secret I wanted to kill him.

Trace sighed, taking the joint from me and puffing on it. "I've been thinking. I'm about at my wit's end with all of this. What we've been planning is huge. Detrimental, if it goes wrong. Fantastic for the club if it goes right. But a rat in the club will only make it wrong..." I nodded at him, letting him know I was with his train of thought. "So we need to know before the big hit. We can't afford for that mission to get fucked up."

I nodded again at him. "I agree completely. I'll find him tonight." Then I was walking away and gone.

-

Rage was expecting me. He sat calmly in his living room, puffing on a blunt. Passed out girls all around him, on the couch, on the floors. What did Riley ever see in him?

"Took you long enough. Maybe I'll actually kill her next time."

I shot him in the leg with my Smith & Wesson, then gagged him, tied him up and threw him in a van, all on my own. It almost felt better that way. I went through the motions, hauling him into the warehouse. I shot off a text, ready to get to it.

I tied him up to the chair in the play room, alone with him. Back up would be here soon enough.

"Finally smell me on her now, Angel, eh? Man enough to do something about it?" Rage mocked, his leg bleeding all over my floor.

"What do you know about being a man?" I asked as Wolf, Wes, and Kane arrived to the warehouse.

"Took y'all long enough to get me again." Rage grinned at Wolf. Wolf snapped completely and punched him.