Chapter 1

"Must be nice."

You made yourself comfortable on the available seat near the train entrance. A relieved expression visible in your face after a long, draining day at school. You can hear the faint and hushed noises coming from people either on their phones or talking with their companions. No one seems to mind as it just made the eerie silence in the train ride more bearable.

You heaved a sigh as you put the (f/c) earphones on while blasting your favorite song in the playlist. There's nothing more heavenly than listening to music that suits your taste. You discreetly watched the people around you: some are sleeping with a tired look on their faces while some are doing their own businesses. Just the usual sight, nothing exceptional. It just made way for your own thoughts to flood your mind.

"How I wish I can talk without worrying over how many damned words I have left to say." You thought, glancing at your left palm. Something was written there in a tiny, minimal font. It's too small that it can't be seen without paying close attention to it.

It displayed the numbers '1,019'--- a dangerously low amount compared to other people's that reaches tens or hundreds of thousands; even millions if they're lucky.

"What a pain." You didn't realize that you've spoken out loud until the guy two seats away from you stared longer than necessary. You lowered your head and crouched slightly under the stranger's gaze, uncomfortable at his action.

You sighed for the nth time today as you watched the number go down to '1,016'.

You leaned your head on the train window and closed your eyes as you mulled over how stupid you are for decreasing the number even just by three words. You even attracted attention: which you definitely don't like.

The lower the number gets, the more agitated you become. No, you aren't afraid to die. You just don't wanna go without saying goodbye to those dear to you. It would be selfish of you to do that. It doesn't help that the people around you seems unbothered about theirs to the point that they can talk about trivial things without constantly worrying if they'd soon reach their end. Sometimes, you're envious of them but it just works that way so you can't do anything.

You suddenly heard the familiar ringtone coming from your phone. With the music still blaring in your ears, you checked the message. It was from Miyu, your closest friend. Well, maybe your only friend but that's not the point.

You blinked, unable to comprehend what she sent you. You scanned the words again, slowly. When the words finally sink in, you felt a bit sad for your dear friend. But it wasn't long until another message came in. This time, you can't help a laugh escape from your lips.

Miyu-chan: One of my friends died (╥_╥)

Miyu-chan: Apparently, when her crush confessed to her, she couldn't help but sputter nonsense bc she flustered af. She didn't notice her number turning zero so she died infront of her crush with a face as red as a tomato and a lovesick expression on her face(T_T)

Miyu-chan: I know you're laughing, (Y/n). You're defo going to hell dumbass(ー''ー)

Your face is turning red but you can't stop laughing. Every second, your laughter gets louder and louder and breathing is being quite a struggle. It's just so hilarious to the point that you doubled over and put a hand over your mouth to desperately muffle your laughter. At this point, you're now crying tears of joy as your shoulders shook uncontrollably. You suddenly felt bad for how you reacted, it was an absurd story after all, but that quickly faded away as soon as you saw a handkerchief in front of you.

"Huh?"

You hesitantly took it from the stranger's slender hands and glanced at the owner to at least thank them for their kindness. Maybe you can spare a word or two in exchange for their thoughtful initiative to help you.

That's what you intended to do.

Upon closer inspection of him, your laughter immediately subsided and was replaced by a look of fascination and bafflement. The tears brimming the side of your eyes went back inside, if that's even humanly possible. And your heart, although still intact, slowly paced faster and faster inside your chest---swelling with an unexplainable rhythm that's almost foreign to you; and you know it isn't the usual anxiety and tension.

As you locked eyes with the tall man with the most gorgeous lazy eyes and poker face you've ever met, you can't stop the words from coming out of your stupid mouth.

No, it's not words of gratitude that you intend to say at the very beginning, but words that makes you want to bury yourself six feet under and never come out again.

"Marry me."