Chapter 6

"By the way, my name is Akaashi Keiji."

You don't know but you feel comfortable around him despite being the exact opposite around other people---the reason why Miyu is your only friend and others are just merely acquaintances. Probably because he has a certain calming aura and cool demeanor that makes you warm up to him instantly. That, or it's just you.

Despite all that, you wouldn't call him a friend, it's too early for that. Even Miyu took a fairly long time to crack your shell and become your friend: a year to be exact. After all, you value friendship way too much that they're practically family to you.

Opening your phone, you went to the Notes app and swiftly composed a response since you think it'd be rude to not say anything back.

'My name is (L/n) (Y/n), Akaashi-san.'

He had to squint his eyes and look closer to be able to read the small texts you showed him. At first, he looked puzzled as to why you opt to not talk to him out loud. Eventually, he seems to realize your reasons and nodded understandingly.

"You...don't want to waste your remaining words, right?"

Although it seems like he's implying that you're gonna die sooner or later, you know he means well; so you just nodded and keep track of your steps. He walked silently beside you, keeping a safe and comfortable distance.

You sneaked a glance at your left palm: it displayed the numbers '998'. It's not even in the thousands.

You had wished you're as lucky as other people: leisurely talking to others about how their day went, how their favorite manga was updated, or how they find school extremely boring. It's those little things that makes you wish you were born in a world where these limits don't exist. Maybe then, you'll learn to live your life with genuine happiness and content.

For some time, the only noise present is your's and Akaashi's light footsteps and the sound from 24/7 businesses around. It was rather tranquil; but it was uncomfortable for you because your brain keeps on replaying those embarrassing things you've done around him.

You desperately tried to find some distractions until your eyes were glued to the sky above. It is now visibly clearing and painted dark blue and tints of orange and red. The slow-moving mist surround the city is thicker these days---signifying that winter is just around the corner.

You quickly typed a question to shake off the invasive thoughts inside your head.

'If you don't mind me asking, where are you supposed to go, Akaashi-san?'

You slightly poked his arm and showed him your phone. He quickly scanned it and looked back in front, halting his steps. You mimicked his actions, confusion visible in your face.

"Here," he muttered and gestured to the tall, brightly-lit buildings looming over you. It was your school, Fukurodani Academy. You didn't even realize that you're already back until Akaashi showed it to you.

"Huh?"

One minute, you're baffled by his statement. The next minute, you stared at him---eyes wide in shock and your mouth slightly agape. You didn't know what to say or what to do at this moment.

"So he's really the one I saw on the school grounds the other week? I'm clearly not trippin'?"

You thought back to it and you think you really saw him there but you shrugged it off because you thought it'd be too much of a coincidence considering Tokyo is huge and there are so many good schools around.

You composed yourself and looked at him, pointing to the school and yourself, signifying that you go there too.

He looks confused at first but quickly understood what you're implying, muttering a small 'What a coincidence' under his breath. He's not even a tad bit surprised.

"I aspire to be like him in these kind of situations. He's so cool-headed, unlike me."

"That, or he just totally doesn't care whether you go the same school or not."

Talking to yourself is the new norm for you but you can't stop the stingy part of your brain from intervening. You just dismissed it and stood there awkwardly, unsure of what to say. You're both in front of the main building that separates the boys' and girls' dorm buildings. He's just staring at you, his eyes looking uninterested as ever, as if expecting you to say something.

"What am I supposed to say? Sorry for wasting your time? I'm heading out?"

You can't count how many times you've been speechless around Akaashi or any other random person, except Miyu of course. It's just because you lack the necessary skills in basic communication and you you don't do much social interaction on a daily basis. Therefore, it's expected that you'd do bad in your "talk" with Akaashi.

You just sighed and decided not to think about it anymore, bowing slightly to his direction and waving him goodbye. He did the same and walked off, leaving you to stare at his retreating figure. When he was completely out of sight, you walked into the three-storey girls' building, seeing no one in the common area because it's still early in the morning.

You climbed the stairs and onto the second floor. Although the building isn't that tall, it is wide enough to accommodate at least 100 people. Unfortunately, your's and Miyu's room is at the farthest corner of this floor so you have to walk the far distance between it and the stairs.

You fished out your room keys and as soon as you opened the door, the small, dark living room connected to the small kitchen greeted you. Your bedroom is closer to the door while Miyu's is right beside it.

The door to Miyu's bedroom opened, revealing her in her half-awake state.

"(Y/n)? Where have you been?" She asked, then went to the kitchen and drink a glass of cold water. You raised the bags in your hand and pointed at the door. She nodded, understanding what you meant.

You had told her about your dreams and how you're having trouble sleeping the past few nights. She had advised you to consult a professional but you feel like it's not necessary because it's just a dream, nothing too serious.

You wrote a message in the notebook on the counter top and showed her. Her eyes are as wide as saucers and her squeals are that of a dying pig. Her high-pitched voice resonating throughout the whole room.

You told her about the incident on the train and made it clear that you don't like him romantically and you just genuinely find him attractive; but even after telling her that, she insisted that it is called a "crush", teased you about the 'Marry me' thing, and shipped you with him.

Now, after knowing that you met him again, she's saying something along the lines of "My ship is sailing" and "Finally, you're getting a boyfriend".

You just rolled your eyes and showed her a new message.

'Aren't you visiting your parents this weekend?'

She just grinned and said it's too early and that she needs to hear the "juicy" details of our encounter before she leaves. You know that she wouldn't stop bothering you so you told her everything, of course she used coercion to squeeze every detail out of you until she's satisfied.

After that, she continued fangirling and shaking the life out of you until you had to tell her the same thing over and over again: That you don't like Akaashi Keiji and you never will...maybe.

"Maybe? What kinda answer is that, (Y/n)?"

Well, you learned that the world sure works wonders after you, yourself, witnessed the way it proved you otherwise.

       。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。

(A/N: This was supposed to be a short story with 10 or less chapters but I changed my plan and decided to slowly develop the relationship of the characters. Also, please bear with me and my irregular updates. Lastly, to whoever reading this, thank you and I hope you're doing fine -Neli (⌒▽⌒))