Chapter 9

You really had no idea how it came to this point. You were overwhelmed by just the fact that the volleyball team wants you to see them practice again. You felt all fuzzy and giddy inside, you admit. It made you feel so special. Now this? In all honesty, you don't know what to come up of this sort of situation.

You stared, shocked and flustered, at the paper in your hand. The usual trip to the locker room just had an unexpected turn. You were supposed to change into your outdoor shoes when you saw a mysterious letter inside. Yes, it is a letter with no name or sender in it. The possibility of an admirer crossed your mind. But you, being you, doesn't want to assume that someone likes you and just brush it off as a measly prank.

"Yes. It's a prank, (Y/n). Do you really expect someone would be interested in you?"

The envelope was rather small and simplistic, nothing fancy outside. You don't want to rip it so you carefully peeled off the dried glue that closes it. You were already sweating buckets just by opening the letter and some girls passing by stared at your slightly hunched form incredulously. You lowered your gaze and bit the inside of your cheeks.

"Are they weirded out? Maybe I shouldn't have opened this here. They're probably laughing at me."

You decided to open it at your dorm room later since you're overly-conscious of students passing by; so you slid it inside your bag. Upon changing into your shoes, you briskly walked away from the locker room and made your way to the grounds. From the main building, you have to pass by the open field to arrive at the girls' dorm. You usually stay at your classroom longer after the bell rang, so the sun is beginning to set when you're outside.

Tranquility is what you enjoy the most when walking in late afternoons. The cloudy weather is a great time to walk casually and bask under the setting sun and clear, blue sky. From what you observed, there are only a few students chattering and loitering at the benches and under the trees. It was aesthetically pleasing with all the green, blue, and orange hues around.

After accompanying Akaashi to their practice, which was not long ago, you wanted to see them play again; but you're too shy to go there without someone else. You invited Miyu but lately, she's busy with her own club activities and other errands so she can't go with you. You wanted to ask Akaashi but you don't have the guts to do it. Besides, until now, you still don't know what class he's in, all you know is that he's a second year.

Honestly, it's easy to find him now that you know he's a second year; since there are only 6 classes. But you're still currently mustering the courage to ask to go with him, so you didn't bother finding him. Besides, for once, you're kinda sure that you'll meet him anytime, anywhere.

''I'll just leave it to the world to make us meet each other."

Strangely enough, it seems like your inner voice is louder this time that it reached the heavens and granted your plea. After taking a few steps further, your (e/c) met his blue ones, sending your entire body to a sudden halt. As usual, he looks exceptional and fresh; which shames your unkempt appearance. Feeling the intense consciousness growing inside you, you looked down and gripped the straps of your backpack tighter. His figure stopped at a distance in front of you.

"Good afternoon, (L/n)-san." His calm voice soothes your nerves every time, even now.

Swallowing your nervousness away, you raised your right hand and waved at him with a tint of pink dusting your cheeks. Trying to keep a straight face is hard, but at least it won't give away your interest towards him.

"Did you consider watching our team again? If you don't know, your compliments made Bokuto-san's ego inflate, so he likes seeing you there."

You consider Bokuto wanting you there again as a huge compliment, your face brightening considerably. Since you were a child, you doesn't really talk a lot because of your low self-esteem and poor communications skills. When Miyu came, that's the only time you got affection from others; so knowing that someone actually wants to see you makes you feel special and appreciated. 

Taking out your notepad and pencil from your skirt's pocket, you wrote a message and showed it to Akaashi. He held out his hand and you gave him the note, the sudden contact of your hands sent a shiver down your spine and you blushed a shade darker. It made you want to touch his hand a little bit longer, but you know it's not possible.

"Stop acting like a lovesick teenager, (Y/n). He will be totally creeped out and avoid you." He mentioned Bokuto wanting to see you there, but not his other teammates; so you'd like to know if they'd mind you being there.

'Can I really go there again? Your teammates might think i'm being a bother.'

He looked up from the note and nodded approvingly, not a single expression on his face. Well, maybe boredom and indifference but after seeing it all the time, it eventually grew on you. It doesn't mean that you're not intimidated in the least.

"They won't mind. When do you want to go there, though?"

You considered going with him today, but then you remembered the letter you saw on your locker. Curiosity fueled your interest in opening it immediately so you decided to go next time. Besides, you want to work on the art project due next week. Better to work on it early than to cram on the weekends.

You wrote that you can't go with him today and that maybe you'll go tomorrow. He nodded understandingly and went off to their afternoon practice. After seeing him leave, you let out a breath of relief as all the tension left your body. You're convinced that he still doesn't know you have a crush on him, but it's extremely difficult to hide the blush in your face and visible agitation whenever he's around. Him finding out your feelings is definitely not an option especially since he consider you as a "friend".

While walking towards your dorm room, you caught a glimpse of the small number in your palm: 876. In the past month, your number just kept decreasing due to various reasons. You can't help but to talk sometimes either unintentionally or not. You can feel the settling emptiness in the pit of your stomach, the usual nervousness was replaced by a grim expression on your face; but you have no choice other than being careful not to waste what's left on you.

Upon arriving at your room, you settled on your bed and immediately continued opening the letter. It was only two sentences so it wasn't supposed to affect you this way. But as you read that, you felt a warm feeling blooming inside you chest that reached out to your lips, forming a small, genuine smile. That instance, you felt thankful that someone appreciates you the way the letter sender did, even if you personally don't know them. And hey, maybe it lighten the load you absentmindedly carries with you all the time.

You sat there in sheer happiness and content, reading it over and over again.

'You should smile more often. You look great when you smile.'