Chapter 10

'Have a nice day ahead, (Y/n).'

Everyday, for one week straight, mysterious letters keep appearing in your locker. Usually, it would be short sentences like 'Always stay hydrated.' and 'Remember to eat your lunch.' The sender doesn't send these in a fixed time. Sometimes, it will appear early in the morning, sometimes after classes. These simple things never fails to put a small smile on your face, you can almost feel your confidence slowly starts to increase. Although you still can't help but overthink things, an improvement is an improvement whether big or small.

These reminders are certainly a thing you never wished for, but you didn't know you needed it after it came. Almost like receiving a warm hug after having a bad day.

For once, after such a long time, the aura that surrounds you seems lighter and more refreshing than the usual gloomy and anxious. You started to smile, although not so often, but you learned to smile more around certain people--- Miyu, the volleyball team, and Akaashi.

In one week, you visited the team twice. They're great people to be with because they respect your privacy and personal space all the time. Well, sometimes the owl-like captain is too loud, but that's it. You can now initiate small conversations around some of them with minimum stutters and you're proud of yourself.

Looking back, so many things happened in less than one month you almost can't believe it actually happened.

As for you and Akaashi, well, you two are a little closer now that you see each other more often: in their practice, at the hallways, and sometimes during breaks. You don't know if you should consider him a friend, mainly because you have a crush on him and it's not too long since you met. But one thing's for sure: You still can't get rid of the "flustered-highschool-girl-around-Akaashi-syndrome"...

...even now that you're in the school library, face-to-face, with only a table separating the both of you.

Within all the books and shelves of the seemingly cramped space, you can hear your heart going in a frenzy, your head throbbing every breath you take. The cooling system in the place seems pointless, your whole body warming up at the "close" proximity. Yes, you consider that "close" enough for you to hyperventilate and be this kind of hysterical.

It started with an unenthusiastic trip towards the school library for a bunch of homework given by your teachers. You were supposed to stay there and answer all those difficult questions that you can't even use in the future. But then, you saw Akaashi in a table in the farthest corner, reading a lot of books alone. You were only going to observe him from afar, knowing that you'll never finish your work with him around; but he saw you, his "empathetic" self surfaced, and the rest is history.

Suddenly wondering whether this is good or bad for you is futile because your heart and mind will always contrast with each other. Your mind will say "no" because deadlines won't wait for you; while your stupid heart agrees because... Akaashi.

Glancing at his focused state, you can't help but admire his looks. He's sporting his complete uniform in a neat manner, like the role model he is. Surprisingly, he wears reading glasses that is a little loose as it always falls from his nose bridge while reading, so he has to push it up every now and then. What amazes you the most is his fluffy-looking hair. Every time you see him, his hair is always wavy and soft, almost as if he never had a bad hair day. 

Your staring contest with his hair was interrupted when he raised his head and looked straight into your eyes. With widened eyes, you choked out a cough and averted your eyes from him. The two of you were engulfed by a deafening silence until he suddenly spoke in a hushed voice, straying away from the scrutinizing eyes and sharp hearing of the librarian.