The Bar Crawl

Tonight was supposed to be a good night. Just a casual outing to celebrate the birthday of a friend. For the most part, it was a good night.

Except for now.

You wobbled back and forth down the street in search of your friends. They were nowhere in sight. You sighed and figured that one of your drunk friends must have counted themselves twice during the headcount.

"Excuse me," you called out as you approached a food vendor. "Which way is it to the Special Fire Force Company building?"

"I can take you there." A voice behind you answered.

You turned to see a man with mismatched ruby eyes. As drunk as you were, you tried to suss him out to the best of your ability and recognized the Special Fire Force uniform trousers that he wore. You pointed to his pants and smiled to yourself. "I'd recognize those pants anywhere! I can walk with you, yeah."

He turned around and started to lead the way.

You hummed to yourself as you walked alongside him.

"You from out of town?" He asked as if he already knew the answer.

"Yeah, I came here at some point during a bar crawl with friends. It's my friend's birthday." You explained. "But now I'm lost and hoping I could wait for my friends at the company building." You pointed to his pants again. "How's working with the company here? That must be cool."

A beat passed before he answered. "It's okay. Sometimes more work than I want to do."

"You should go drinking to relax sometimes." You giggled. "That's funnier coming from a drunk person."

"I go every now and then."

The gravel crunched as underneath your feet as the two of you walked on. A light breeze brushed against your face.

"What do you like to drink?" You asked.

His answer came with no hesitation. "Sake."

You laughed. "Sake is great."

The rest of the walk continued in relative silence. You felt at ease with the man's presence despite how he was almost a stranger. Almost because he seemed familiar and you couldn't quite explain why.

"We're here." The man announced as you reached a well lit building. He parted the curtains at the entryway and you followed suit.

"Welcome back, Waka." A man greeted the one beside you before turning to you. "Aren't you from Company 8?"

At the mention of your company, the pieces slid together in your head. You were in Asakusa. This was Company 7. The man who just spoke to you was Lieutenant Konro. The man beside you was in charge of it all.

You bowed deeply. "Captain Shinmon! I sincerely apologize for speaking so casually to you. I didn't realize who you were." Beads of sweat began to form on your forehead. You had only briefly met Company 7 once before tonight.

"It's alright." Benimaru replied. "It's been a while since someone didn't know who I was."

You straightened yourself and felt relieved for a second. Just a second. "Please don't mention this to Lieutenant Hinawa. He'll string me up and use me as Infernal bait."

Konro raised an eyebrow. "Infernal bait?"

You could picture it already. Strung upside down during the company meeting. Strung upside down during meal times. Strung upside down as a screeching, flaming Infernal ran toward you.

"Relax." Benimaru stated. "I won't mention it to him." He gestured to the lobby. "You can wait here for your friends."

You practically sobbed out a thank you.

For about ten minutes you sat in the lobby of Company 7 and leaned against a wall that barely held up your remaining soul and dignity and contemplated the decisions made that night.

"Látom," you whispered to yourself, grateful that it didn't get any worse than it already had.

Your friends soon found you and apologized profusely. Before you had a chance to cast a lingering glimpse at Company 7, they whisked you out and shuttled you back to Company 8.

You gazed out the window at the moon once you were in bed. You wondered if Benimaru was also staring at the moon. As your eyes began to close for the night, you made a mental note to get him a thank you gift.