Chapter one:

𝕳e was death. Literally. I always saw him at funerals in my 'family'. He was always there. Always brooding. His tall, muscular frame always stood next to the open grave, ocean blue eyes cast down at the coffin, almost in vague disgust, pale skin stood out amongst his dark clothes, contrasting blonde hair highlighted with red styled in a quiff, pink lips constantly pulled up in a sneer.

In another life I would have thought of him as attractive.

But now, at my best friend's funeral, all I felt was a burning, an all-body consuming rage. Lack of sleep soon trumped it and I fell into an unemotional bliss. My silver eyes gazed, unblinking, at the grave Carly was being lowered into.

Soon he appeared again, standing next to the grave. Emotionless, I stared at him. He must have felt my gaze on him because he looked up and our eyes connected.

He looked confused, almosted awed. Then he was gone. We got back to the Richards' house, everyone passing on their condolences.

I couldn't stand being around all these people so I sought refuge in the bathroom,"What is wrong with you!?"I whispered at my reflection, splashing water on my face and staring at my reflection again.

The girl in the mirror wasn't anyone I knew. She had pale skin, steely silver eyes, dark circles under her eyes, bags under her eyes and a stick thin body. I knew it was because I refused to eat ever since Carly died.

"How can you see me?"I jumped slightly in fright at the deep voice that sent shivers down my spine, his warm breath fanning my neck.

I turned and -rather rudely- pushed past him."I'm talking to you, mortal."He ground out, the sound of grinding bones rolled from the depths of his voice.

"Look, I don't know how I can see you but you need to leave me alone."I snapped.

"My dear, are you alright?"Mrs Roberts put a well-manicured hand on my shoulder, looking worried.

I sighed. I wish she were my mother."Sorry, Mrs Roberts, I'm just a little stressed. In fact so stressed I think I'm seeing things."I glared at Death.

"We're all stressed, Dear. You should go home and rest a bit. Don't forget to call me when you get home to let me know you're safe. And if you need anything call. Please. You know you're like the second daughter I've always wanted."Mrs. Roberts smiled sadly.

"Thank you, Mrs Roberts. I'll call you when I get home."I kissed her cheek and left.

Soon I found myself sitting in my car, unmoving, in my driveway. That was the most vulnerable I've ever been. And in front of Death nevertheless!

See I'm the kind of person who never showed people any emotions because showing emotions always made me feel weak.

The only time I'd show emotions was when I was alone with Carly or by myself. So that's what I did when I got home.

"Damn you Carly!"I yelled, throwing a lamp at the wall, letting out a strangled sob,"How could you!?You know how I feel about being alone!I hate it!How could you?"I sobbed.

"You know you're wasting money, right"A voice said.

I turned to face Death who leaned against the door jamb watching me. He saw me being emotional...Oh god...

"Ugh not you again."I groaned. He chuckled and pushed himself away from the door jamb.

"Yes, me...again... I have to take you to my boss so that we can find out why and how you can see me..."He walked towards me. I stepped back, grabbing a throw pillow and holding it in front of me like a shield.