[16] Secrets

The sky was cloudy and grey this Tuesday afternoon.

Fletcher was clutching onto his umbrella, anticipating for it to rain any moment now. He had already gotten off the bus, but at a different stop, and was heading towards one of the convenient stores near his neighbourhood. They ran out of milk this morning so his dad ordered him to get some on the way home after school.

He dug a hand into his pocket, taking out the spare coins he had inside and began counting. His family was tight on their budget and since his mum was already bent over with stress, Fletcher thought it was best to use the money he saved up instead.

Pushing open the door with his shoulder, Fletcher entered the convenient store. This store had been another even before he was born and hasn't exactly been well-kept over the years, but regardless, it sold some of the cheapest goods that his neighbourhood could afford.

Fletcher made his way straight towards the freezer, grabbing the first jug of milk on the shelf, then went inline to the cashier. He hadn't noticed her immediately since Fletcher never thought he'd bump into anyone at his school in a worn-down place like this, but, at the start of the line, was none other than goody-two-shoes, Noor Rahal.

But that wasn't the puzzling part because, when she finished paying for her purchase, Noor walked out of the convenient store, holding a box of cigarettes in her hands.

Fletcher had been visiting the library so often, the librarian was beginning to remember his name, which says a lot since Ms. Abruzzo was very old and very forgetful.

Most of the time, Fletcher would sit in a secluded area, hidden from plain sight by the tall bookshelves, and do his homework. Sometimes he would scan the shelves in search of a good book, but he was such a picky reader that he wouldn't find anything interesting that he would want to read.

Nowadays, though, Fletcher spent more time at the cafeteria to keep Sam company. They're still not close and silence still looms over at their table, however, having him around wasn't as troubling as Fletcher thought. In fact, it's actually not that bad. But he, nor Sam, are ready to admit that out loud.

Just in case. Just in case...

Fletcher found himself in the library again when he realised he had his History test today. As usual, he barely remembers jackshit about Napoleon Bonaparte's role after the Fall of the French Monarchy, and Fletcher really needed to pull his grades up if he wanted to pass History with decent marks.

He was midway through reading about Napoleon's attempt to invade Russia — which failed miserably, might he add —when Fletcher heard a series of loud thumps a few feet away from him.

Looking up from his book and turning his head to where the sound came from, he saw a pair of dark eyes and charcoal locks that he could easily recognise anywhere — Gabriella Matsumoto.

Swearing under her breath, Gabriella glanced around the area to check if anyone noticed her and stopped once her eyes locked with Fletcher's.

"You?" She spat, almost as if breathing the same air as him was disgusting. "Again?"

Fletcher rolled his eyes. "I'm not happy to see you either."

"You're not stalking me, are you?"

"Please," Fletcher scoffed. "I have better things to do with my time."

"Then how come you're here?" Gabriella countered. "No one ever comes to this part of the library."

"It's the most quiet place to study," he answered, then raised his eyebrow. "How come you're here?"

Suddenly anxious, Gabriella hurriedly picked up the books she dropped on the floor and hid them behind her back. "I was just passing by —"

"You literally just came out from the Foreign Literacy section —"

"Aha! So you admit it," Gabriella said, pointing an accusing finger at him. Fletcher saw how her shoulder's relaxed when she managed to divert the topic. "You were watching me."

Fletcher was dumbfounded. "You are unbelievable."

"First, in the hallway, then by Thea's locker, and now, at the library," Gabriella mused as she listed all their encounters. "Maybe I should tell the counselor because God knows what you'll do next —"

"Wait," Fletcher said, analysing her word before locking his gaze with her's once again. "So its true?"

Gabriella blinked. "What?"

"That it was you that morning," Fletcher repeated. "By Thea's locker. You slipped her a note — I wasn't mistaken."

Gabriella's eyes darkened and she took a step forward. "Listen here, stalker—" Fletcher couldn't help but roll his eyes again at his newly-established nickname. "You don't know anything—"

"Gab! There you are!"

They both turned to the pretty brunette waving at Gabriella. At the mere sight of her best friend, Gabriella held her breath and immediately began to return the books she had on her hands to the shelves. She was able to get rid of them all in time before Sadie was at her side.

"I was looking all over for you," Sadie said as she nudged Gabriella, a small pout on her face. "You said you'd be by the YA section. What are you doing here?"

"Nothing," Gabriella quickly replied. "Just got lost."

As she spoke, Fletcher noticed how Gabriella fiddled with her hands from behind her back.

They ignored Fletcher for the entirety of their conversation. It allowed him to finally get back to his book and cram as much knowledge about Napoleon Bonaparte into his brain before the bell rang. But, as he flipped through the book's pages, from the corner of his eye, he witnessed how Gabriella kept glancing back to the books she had returned, longing in her eyes and yet willing herself to stay put.

It was then Fletcher understood that even Gabriella Matsumoto had her own secrets she wanted to hide. And, perhaps, she might know a lot more than what she lets on.