[17] Once Again

Fletcher rarely ever visits the Breakfast Treehouse Diner. Firstly, it was because it took two buses to and from the diner. And secondly, it's the food was only mediocre and costed much more than it was worth.

He had only dropped by to deliver his mother some spare change of clothes. Apparently her old ones were dripping wet due to some clumsy customer accidentally spilling soup all over her. The look on her face was entirely endearing — an expression Fletcher hardly ever sees — as he handed her a pair of jeans, a t-shirt, and a cardigan.

"Thanks," she said, a small smile on her face. Fletcher nodded in return before turning around and attempting to leave the diner. That is, until his mum stopped him. "Wait, Fletcher — " she called out. "Do you want to visit the park with me once my shift ends? We could buy ice cream from that one stand that you liked when you were a kid. How does that sound?"

Honestly, Fletcher didn't have the time. He had two assignments due tomorrow, a project he needed to get started on, a quiz on Molecular Structure on Tuesday afternoon.

But then again, it was ages since he's gone to the park with his mother. Or spent any time with her in general. Because free time was hard to capture, especially when your under the upper hand and work two swifts just to make ends meet. Fletcher would be lying if he said he didn't miss her.

So, with a small nod, Fletcher answered, "Yeah. I'd like that."

The park had changed so much since Fletcher's last visit, which was about...seven years ago, at least?

When he and his mum got off the bus, Fletcher immediately noticed the lack of people in the park. More adults and teens walking along the footpaths than children running around in the grass. The old playground was gone and there less stalls on the sidewalks too. It felt more foreign than familiar, but then again things change — they always do.

They couldn't find Fletcher's old favourite ice cream stand, so his mum bought him a corndog instead. They would've bought some cotton candy, but it was too expensive.

"So," his mother said as they both sat down on one of the park benches. "Tell me, how's school?"

Taking a bit out of his corn dog, Fletcher shrugged. "It's okay, I guess. The projects can be a bit handful though, but I manage."

"You're not failing in any of your classes, are you?"

Fletcher took a moment before answering, "Maybe a little in history..."

"Fletcher!" His mum turned to him, a seriousness in her eyes. "You know how important your education is. We've talked about this. I don't work hard day and night just for you to slack on your studies. Where's your drive? Don't you want to succeed?"

Honestly, Fletcher's never had any goals. He's been falling off the deep end too many times that he's gotten used to the sensation. All Fletcher wants to do, really, is just get through it.

Besides, its not like his family could afford a good college. So what was the point?

"Do you want to end up like me? Is that it?" She went on further. "Look at where I am right now. I'm broke, my marriage is falling apart, I don't even have any dignity left at this point." His mum closed her eyes and started rubbing the corner of her eyes. "I might've gotten somewhere in my life if I had finished school, or hadn't gotten married, or —"