[22] The Last Person

To say Fletcher was curious about last week's whole ordeal would be an understatement.

It was all he could think about. During class, the bus ride home, late at night. Sometimes, whenever he ate with Sam, Fletcher wanted to straight up ask him about it.

This was very unlike him. Fletcher was never one to involve in other's burdens, especially since he was drowning in his own, but somehow, he really, really wanted to know. He wanted to know every detail, every buildup, every flaw there was that lead to their sudden connection. And he wanted to understand the point of all their encounters and maybe even understand them as well.

Most of all, he wanted to figure out whatever it is that made them turn their backs on Thea Banks.

Because maybe, just maybe, their reasons might not be that different from his.

It was very unlike Fletcher to actually want the trouble.

After all, he's spent most of his life — if not it's entirety — pushing people away. Cutting ties and breaking bonds, that's what Fletcher did best. He was never a people-person to begin with.

But there he was almost every lunch time with Sam, having the longest conversations than he's ever had with anyone. There he was, keeping secrets for others — without question or without second thought — even though he didn't have to.

Fletcher Greenly had never been part of anything.

Yet somehow, surrounded by this irreparable mess, with the unending guilt and sorrow and rage slowly piling up on him, Fletcher was scared to be alone.

So, as dangerous as this may be, perhaps, this could be exception.

With his sudden urges and curiosity-driven mind, Fletcher slid a note inside each of their lockers.

"Are you seeing what I'm seeing?"

Fletcher watched as Sam's eyes scanned through the Top Courts. He looked genuinely shocked as three other people emerged from school to the outside, right where he and Fletcher were positioned.

Noor was the first person they saw, though she was the shortest out the five of them. She had a couple of books in one hand and, with her spare hand, she waved at them from across the courts.

"Why'd you call for us, Greenly?" Roman shouted from the other side, his hands inside his pockets as he strided towards them.  Next to him was Gabriella, arms crossed and a bored look on her face.

"You do know I've got places to be, right?" Gabriella huffed. "This better be good."

"Wait," Noor said. "You guys received the note too?"

"Unfortunately," Roman deadpanned. He pulled a small piece of paper out from his pocket then read its contents allowed. "After school. Top Courts. You owe me."

"And all of us owe Fletcher?" Noor asked. When the three of them nodded grimly, a look between shock and genuine awe passed by her features. "That's actually kind of impressive."

"Ugh, can we just get to the point," Gabriella groaned. "What do you want from us, stalker?"

They all turned to Fletcher's direction, their expressions ranging from pure confusion to impatience, and it didn't help either that his glasses intensified their emotions even more.