Two

I barely got any sleep before my alarm clock rang and I had to get up and head to my shoot for the day. Looking into the mirror, I see the result of my lack of rest under my eyes.

Mentally saying an apology to my makeup artist, I washed my face and headed out. Checking my phone to activate my GPS, I saw a message from Bin which came in when I was already asleep.

Be safe today. Wear your mask and take naps when you can. I want you healthy when I get back so I can beat you at the golf course again.

I rolled my eyes... then smiled. He truly is the sweetest.

I knew by now he would have sent a message to my manager to take extra care of me. Normally, I would push back on such attention being showered on me. I was a grown woman who could take care of herself but somehow with Bin it wasn't stifling.

It was cute, actually.

When I got to the venue, the styling team started fussing around me and I belatedly saw that Bin had another message that was unread. Clicking on it, I saw the most recent photo released by one of my endorsements. Terrible. His message read and I frowned, wondering what was wrong. The next part made me laugh. How are all your pictures pretty?!

He says this even when I give him the ugliest, unwashed morning face.

What an unexpected friendship I am blessed to have.

It is quite fascinating that almost twenty years into this industry and we only worked together in recent years. As I had previously mentioned, there were projects that we were in discussions and then he didn't push through with it.

I asked him about it before during the promotion of our film. "Why didn't you go through with it?"

He shrugged and crinkled his nose. "I didn't feel like it was a good fit for me."

"But those were good roles," I challenged.

"Yes. Just not for me."

"Oh. For a moment there, I thought you backed out because of me."

"Well..."

I swatted him. "Jerk."

He laughed. "Do I sense some insecurity there, Ye Jin-ssi?"

I rolled my eyes. "I'm over it."

"Good. You really shouldn't have insecurities at all."

"I shouldn't? Are you commanding my insecurities away, Bin-ssi?"

He nodded. "If you find yourself feeling unsure about anything, call me. I'll tell you how nauseatingly perfect you are."

It was early on in our friendship, so I didn't read too much into it. But, as time went on, in moments when I felt sad, I would take him up on his offer and check if he still meant his promise.

"Bin-ssi."

"Yes? What's wrong? You don't sound good."

I had a fever then and felt alone that night. He was abroad on a shoot and I just needed to talk to someone. After telling him that I wasn't well, I said, "I'm doubting some decisions I made. Maybe I should have married long ago so that I won't be dealing with this sickness alone."

He was quiet for a moment. "You probably need to have your temperature checked because I'm starting to doubt this is a low grade fever."

"Bin-"

"I'm not done."

I kept quiet.

"If that's the reason you think you should have married long ago, you're wrong. You don't need a husband, you need a nurse."

I had to chuckle at that. "See? I'm saying silly things. I'm not perfect."

"Hmmm... you're sick so we'll let this pass. This moment of weakness just shows how perfect you are."

"How?!"

"You're so perfect you saw this issue and asked for help immediately. How perfect is that?"

I laughed at that, which brought about coughing fits. "Thank you for that dumb logic, Bin-ssi."

"You're welcome. Are you feeling better? I was serious about getting your temperature checked," he insisted.

He has been a loyal friend, showing through actions how he appreciated me but could also conjure up enough to articulate some thoughts if he knew I needed to hear it.

I recalled to when we first "met" — and by that, I mean we were seated together. I knew of him, of course. He was one of the most handsome people out there, after all, AND he was an extremely good actor.

We only exchanged hellos and a few formalities but no conversations. Sure, I stole glances at him. Upclose, Bin-ssi looked even better than seeing him onscreen. The years have been kind to him, looking better than when he first debuted. I didn't realize how tall he was as well. 

And I, a thirty-something year old woman, developed a crush.

I would get excited when the prospect of working with him would come but nothing panned out. Until our movie.

I check the time and he should already be up. Opening my messages, I sent a photo of me at the shoot doing silly faces. Here are not so pretty pictures of me. Good morning, Bin-ssi!

He replied almost immediately. Nope. You fail again. Good morning, Ye Jin-ssi.