A turn for the worst

Once again I was in the hospital, but this time not feeling guilty. Instead I was quite happy. Brittany was feeling better and Sam and I had made a sort of truce with each other, or at least I didn't want to smack the smile off his froggy lips anymore. Little did I know that my morning would turn out to be one of the worst of my life.

I was in the waiting room on my phone. Quinn had texted me a lot in the last few days but I hadn't had time to respond. She always texts me but I ignore her but- because I had nothing else to do- I actually read it.

                                Quinn

I'm back at Yale but I wanted to check to make sure Brittany's alright. I've tried to text you but you just ignore me like usual. Hope your alright anyways :)

I could hear her voice through the text, especially the smug smiley face she'd make at the end.

She's fine and I don't ignore u I'm just busy. I'm alright see you later.

Blunt but beautiful. I realised that I'd been sitting on that chair for about an hour and I usually spend about 15 minutes waiting to see Britt. A tall guy with  dark hair walked past and I guessed by his white coat and stethoscope he was a doctor. He was fiddling around with a clipboard and shouting at a flustered nurse. The smaller woman was almost trembling at his words.
"What do you mean her wound is infected Lisa! You could've told me this earlier!"
"I'm sorry. Jane was supposed to give her a check over two days ago!" Her voice cracked and her eyes watered. My heart broke to see someone think that everything was there fault. The doctor muttered worriedly under his breath and walked off down the hall.

The nurse put her head in her hands and sat down on a chair. It was quite awkward sitting there and watching her sob. She hadn't noticed that I was there, or maybe she didn't really care. I got up and tried to comfort her.
"Hey Lisa. It'll be fine don't worry, it's not your fault." I crouched down and tried to look her in the eyes. She met mine and stopped crying. This ought to have been a good thing but a look of pure shock replaced her sorrow.
"Are..are you Miss Pierce's friend?" Before I could answer she gripped hold of my arm so hard I thought it would break. "I'm so sorry. This is all my fault!" With that she got up, dried her eyes and went sprinting up the hall.

Confused and scared, I looked around for anyone who could explain. That's when I saw Sam coming in (as we take in turns who gets the earliest hours now) for his visiting hours.
"Hi why are you here? Thought you'd be still talking to Brittany?"
"No..I haven't got to see her yet. It's been really weird and all the nurses are really worried about a patient or something." I said, trying to hide the fact I was so scared that something had happened to Brittany. He gave me a confused look and I followed him to the front desk.
"Hey. Me and my friend" he gestured towards me in an awkward type of way "are visiting Brittany Pierce. Or Brittany. S. Pierce is her full name. Anyway we're here to visit and still need to be called in but we haven't." The woman on the desk initially rolled her eyes but then looked over to a doctor sitting to her right. She whispered something in his ear and he got up out of his seat.
"Come with me, please."

The next thing I knew we were sat in a small room that I guessed was like a doctors office. It was a strange place with posters on all four walls, but the writing on them was far too small for anyone to see. The doctor typed something on his computer and swivelled round in his chair to face us.
"Hello Miss Lopez and Mr Evans." he begun. "I'm very sorry to tell you that your friend Miss Pierce's condition isn't as stable as we thought it was. Her wound is infected." Suddenly tears I never knew I was holding in spilled out. Just when I thought things were getting better everything got worse.
"Is there anything you can do?" I asked desperately between sobs. "You've got to be able to do something?"
"We're not sure at the minute Miss. We're doing all we can to-"
"What do you mean you're not sure! I thought she was getting better!" I shouted, rage coming over me. Sam grabbed hold of my hand.
"Well she was, but Miss Pierce's condition has taken a turn for the worst." The man said trying to make me understand, but failing.
"Well is there anything you can do?." Sam spoke in a quiet and oddly professional voice. I could tell he was hiding how terrified he was.
"At this stage we're not entirely certain."
"You can't just let her die!" I yelled as tears came flooding down my face. I'd risen out of my seat now and was stood over the desk. "Do something! Do what you're paid to do! Make her better!" That was when Sam grabbed hold of me and pulled me back to my seat. Through blurry eyes the doctor's expression looked shocked and miserable. This time he stood up and made his way to the door, looking back at us sympathetically before leaving.

A/N: Sorry I took such a long time to update, feeling a bit distracted recently. And this is a weird question but I want you guys to be part of this book too: Do you want Brittany to die in this story? To see how Santana reacts after losing her. I'm not sure at the minute what I should do. Leave your opinion in the comments.