Chapter 6

[Y/N], unlike her older brother, was very athletic, despite the fact that she had gone through high school and college at such a young age. She was avid in tennis, and even played her fair-share of volleyball. However, it seemed like none of that could have ever prepared her for the PT tests and operational skills portion of her academy training. She would do her morning runs and workouts, always coming out breathless and feeling like she might kill over at any moment, but she never let that get in the way of trying her absolute best - pushing herself until she was the first in place at the end of the runs, always maxing out on her workouts. It was physically draining, but she knew the pay off for her work would be worth all the sore muscles and shin splints that the world had to offer her during this time.

~

[Y/N] walked into the gym after her PT run, her forehead dripping with sweat, her PT clothes clinging to her body uncomfortably. It was her eighth week in the academy, and she was more in shape now than she had ever been in her previous years. She wiped at her forehead, taking long swigs from her water bottle as she walked towards her instructor for the morning, only for her eyes to go wide when she noticed Derek Morgan and Jennifer Jareau standing in place of where her normal, middle-aged, instructor should be. She bit her lip, smiling softly as the two agents locked eyes with her and gave her a soft smile and nod of acknowledgement.

"Alright, kids, today we're going to skip the usual workouts that occur and start practicing some hand-to-hand combat. It's important to really hone in on this skill because you won't always have your gun out in the field to subdue an unsub if you can't talk them down peacefully. So, Agent Jareau and I will be showing you some standard moves that we use to help us take down our targets," Derek spoke to the group of recruits, all of them listening before someone from the back spoke up.

"And what if /some/ of us already used these moves to subdue one of their peers for no good reason?" The girl, Amy, asked, immediately glaring at [Y/N]. [Y/N] made sure to not react, knowing that it would do no good to poke the flame of the fire that came with interacting with Amy. As it was, she didn't want to have her brother and Hotch called back to the academy because of something that she was involved with.

"Well, then I'd say they're already far more ready than you are to start their career in the field," Emily spoke up, staring at Amy with a gaze that held no less than disdain for the recruit. It didn't take long for word about [Y/N] and Amy to get around not only the academy, but the entire bureau. Afterall, she was Spencer Reid's sister, and she was a hot topic amongst the different units located in Quantico. Everyone wanted her, and that only made it harder for her in the academy. It wasn't unusual to see a Unit Chief and their Section leader from CARD, Counter-terrorism, or even the Tech department to drop in during classes and PT tests to watch [Y/N] Reid in action. This only furthered the schism between [Y/N] and the recruits - jealousy was awful amongst the academy.

"Let's get to work," Derek said, making everyone pair off with one another, which of course, left [Y/N] by herself with no partner. "Ah, no need to worry, we have another Agent coming, Reid," Derek smiled at her. And just like he was summoned, Aaron Hotchner walked through the doors in his work out attire, letting the smallest grin appear as he made eye contact with [Y/N].

[Y/N]'s breath hitched slightly, staring at the Unit Chief of the BAU, the man who usually was donned in a pressed suit and tie was wearing a worn out FBI shirt and basketball shorts. "Hi, Aar- Agent Hotchner. I'm guessing you'll be my partner for the day?" She asked, looking up at him.

"Seems so. I'm here specifically because we know you're more advanced than this class is, and we can't risk another tussle happening between you and a peer," he told her, the girl before him nodding eagerly. She didn't know if it was the run she had just completed, but her heart was racing at an abnormal pace now. She was going to be practicing hand-to-hand combat with Aaron Hotchner. Their hands were going to be on each other's bodies - something she had definitely thought about once or twice in a different setting.