Chapter 13

[Y/N] hadn't heard the end of it from Spencer as he taught her how to fill out her report on discharging her firearm, and for using lethal force on an unsub - not that he was mad at her for doing her job, but his worry as an older brother came in the form of anger and annoyance. It took them nearly a week to make up with one another, then it was back to normal for the two Reid's. However, it also took a week for the nightmares to set in.

~

"We have another case, guys," Penelope said to the group of profilers as she passed them in the bullpen, on her way towards the round table room to get ready to brief the team.

[Y/N] sighed softly and stood from her desk, stretching her back slightly before she and the others made their way to the room to be briefed.

"So we have a serial in California that is killing college-aged girls, all from the same university. They all have [y/c] [y/l] hair, and [y/c] eyes, and.. Oddly enough, they're all from the same program at the University of California. They're all History majors in a pre-law enforcement program," Garcia continued on, [Y/N] sinking back into her chair slightly. The girls all matched her description. They even matched her major. She felt a pair of eyes boring into her, and she knew exactly who was behind the intense glare. Aaron. She looked over, the two of them making eye contact before she looked back at the files before herself, sifting through the pictures of the murdered girls.

"Um.. Could we be looking at a case of surrogates?" [Y/N] asked, looking up at the team as she threw the idea out there. They seemed to mull it over, agreeing that it could be a plausible motive before they continued to brainstorm.

"Well, from what I know about this program, it's actually pretty competitive to get into. Maybe we're looking at a rejected applicant," Spencer added, the pen in his hand scribbling his ideas down onto a piece of paper, not like he'd forget them.

"We'll see soon enough. Wheels up in 30," Aaron told the team, standing up as he grabbed his Ipad before leaving back to his office.

[Y/N] sighed softly and grabbed her file before following him to his office, knocking softly on the door before she entered when she heard him call to come in.

"Agent Reid, is there something I can help you with?" Aaron raised his eyebrow, looking at the young girl that was standing in his office.

"Uh, no.. Not necessarily," She said softly before sitting down in the leather chair that sat in front of his desk. "Well, actually.. I do want to talk about something. It can wait until the case is over though.. It's nothing too important," she told him, shaking her head as she stood up, turning to leave the room only to be caught by a hand around her wrist.

"If you came to my office, it can't wait. Agent Re- /[Y/N]/. What do you need to talk about?" Aaron asked, a deep line set between his furrowed brows as he stared down at her.

[Y/N] gulped softly and looked away, biting at her bottom lip softly. "I just.. I, um.. I'm starting to not sleep well.. Everytime I close my eyes, I just.. I see him there. Dead. It's less of a nightmare, more of reliving the moment he died.. Over and over and over," her voice was soft, her eyes not meeting his as she stared down at the ground.

Aaron frowned deeply, her heart tightening in his chest as he listened to her speak. He knew exactly what she was going through - in fact, every member of the BAU knew what [Y/N] was going through, seeing as they all went through it the very first time they took a life, granted, it hadn't happened to any of them on their very first case. He sighed deeply and, without a second thought, pulled her into his arms, the girl tucked tightly against his chest.

"I think you should see the Unit counselor.. This is something that you need to work through, because if you bottle it up, it only gets worse," he explained softly, his voice so low that [Y/N] could feel it rumble low in his chest. She looked up at him, her eyes slightly glossy from unshed tears as she stared into his eyes.