Chapter Twenty Seven

That night after everyone left, Karly and Luke went to bed after putting Jackson in his crib. Karly put on her pjs and Luke stripped to his boxers and they got into bed and went to sleep.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

She got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and she noticed her shorts covered in blood. She cried out for Luke. He came running in and saw the blood and he ran to get dressed and helped her change and ran to get Jackson and came back and helped her downstairs and to the car and they went to the hospital. He called Amy, Austin, and Eric on the way. He parked and got out and got Jackson and helped her out and they went inside.

"I need some help, my girlfriend's pregnant and she was bleeding heavily!" Luke said. A couple of nurses came running and helped her in a wheelchair and took her to a room.

"Luke I need you!" Karly said crying.

"Luke, I'm here," Eric said. He took Jackson so Luke can go with Karly. They got her in a room and on a bed and the doctor came in and ran some tests and did an ultrasound. Luke held Karly close as they watched the doctor.

"Doc?" Luke asked.

"I'm so sorry, Karly, the baby's gone, you miscarried, I am so sorry," the doctor said. Karly broke down crying and Luke held her to him as they cried together. Karly buried her face in his chest. He kissed her head.

"I don't understand, I know these things happen but was there any way to prevent it, we went swimming, did that do it?" Luke asked.

"I don't believe so, has anything happened the last few days that wasn't normal," the doctor said.

"I went on a trip, I mostly drove around New England, I was a little upset about something, oh god," Karly said.

"Karly, it could be any number of things, mostly it could be that it wasn't time, sometimes they happen for no reason, that is mostly logically the case here, what you have described to me, I've seen with other patients and they go on to have a healthy pregnancy and babies, I will need to do a procedure to get you cleaned out so there is no infection, Luke, I will ask you to wait in the waiting room, I'm sure you have family out there who are wondering what happened, I will have a nurse come get you when I'm done," the doctor said. Luke nodded and kissed Karly on the forehead.

"I love you, baby, we will get through this," Luke said. She nodded.

"I love you too," Karly said. He went out to the waiting room. He saw Amy, Eric, and Austin out there with Jackson. They stood up and looked at him.

"Luke?" Amy asked.

"We lost the baby, she miscarried," Luke said. Amy hugged him. Luke broke down in her arms. Austin stood with them and joined the hug.