Sleepover

"N-No.."

"Please..!"

Marc's eyes shot open as he sat up panting. He looked around the room, seeing the table with a chair, the nightstand with his phone on it, his backpack next to the table and the clock that's ticking on the wall. He catched his breath after remembering that he was in Nathaniel's guest room.

Marc and Nathaniel both decided that Marc would stay at his place for a sleepover. Nathaniel's parents weren't at home so they could do whatever they want. They had a lot of fun watching movies, working on their comic books, making snacks and so much more. Marc was staying in the guest room while Nathaniel stayed in his own when they went to sleep.

Marc layed back down and took his phone, looking at the time: 2:21am. He sighed and placed his phone back on the nightstand. He closed his eyes and tried to fall asleep again but that nightmare was haunting his thoughts. It wasn't rare that he had nightmares but this one? A little bit to scary.

He shifted around in the bed, trying to fall asleep but with no success. He looked on his phone again: 2:54am. He already had a feeling that it would take until he fell asleep again so he decided to go to the kitchen and get himself a glass of water.

He opend the door of the guest room with a squeak and walked into the hallway. To get to the kitchen he had to go through the hallway on the top floor and then go downstairs. He started to walk as slowly and as quietly as he could. He almost reached the stairs but he stopped, turning his head. He stood infront of Nathaniel's door, staring at it. He took an uneasy breath while some thoughts went through his head. 'Is he still awake? No, he isn't. It's just me. Should I wake him up? No, I shouldn't. I don't want to pain him with me being a scaredy cat.'

Marc let out a quiet sigh and continued to walk to the kitchen. He went down the stairs and took a right, entering the kitchen. He shielded his eyes when he turned on the lights. After a few seconds his eyes adjusted to the brightness. He opend a cupboard and took out a cup. He watched the cup fill up with water while letting the faucet run. Once the glass was full, he sat down at the table, staring at the cup of water. That nightmare just wouldn't go away. He thought about staying up all night and maybe write in his book when he heard the floor creak. He looked up to see what it was and that's when he saw Nathaniel standing on the other side of the table. He looked like he just woke up

"Marc, what are you doing here?" He asked with a slightly raspy voice. Marc was shocked to see him here "O-Oh, hey Nathaniel... D-Did I wake you up..?" he asked back, hoping that Nathaniel would say no. Nathaniel pulled a chair out and say on it "You didn't answer my question, Marc.". Marc mind was racing, trying to think of an answer that didn't involve the nightmare "I, uh... I-I just wanted to get something to drink.. that's all." Nathaniel didn't seemed convinced "Ah, ok. Well, about your question: I heard you." Marc looked down at his cup and then back up at Nathaniel "So I did wake you up...?". He felt bad that he woke up Nathaniel, especially at this time of night. Nathaniel chuckled slightly and shook his head "No, you didn't. I was already awake when you left. A fly was annoying me." Nathaniel expression went from slightly amused to dead serious again "But enough about me. Why are you really here, Marc?". Marc looked down at his cup again while mumbling out "N-nothing.." Nathaniel sighed and patted his head "You look horrible. What happened?" Marc couldn't look him in the eyes, he was to scared that Nathaniel would think of him less but he answered anyways "I... had a nightmare... and I couldn't fall back asleep...".

There was a deafening silence in the room after. Marc was so scared that he said something wrong but then he got pulled into a hug from Nathaniel. He was confused and got a little red in the face but before he had the chance to ask anything stood Nathaniel up and grabbed his hand, pulling Marc with him. Marc didn't know what was happening but Nathaniel already answered his thoughts "If you can't sleep on your own, then you're sleeping with me." It took Marc a good second to process what he just said before getting red again "Wh-What...?" Nathaniel didn't answer afterwards and just pulled Marc back to his room, turning of the light of the kitchen.

They entered Nathaniel's room, Marc still red in the face. Nathaniel already went into his bed and just waited for Marc to follow. Marc hesitated a lot at first but after three minutes or so he was now lying right next to Nathaniel. His face was heating up and his heart was beating like crazy. If not the nightmare would keep him up all night then it would be sleeping next to Nathaniel. Nathaniel noticed that Marc was tense and took his hand "Is this to uncomfortable for you, Marc?" Marc shook his head into the pillow and hid half of his face in the blanket "No.. it's just that... I never even got to tell you how much I like you... so, laying right next to you in bed makes me... really nervous." He just stammered what was on his mind but when he realized what he said he immediately turned red again. He was just happy it was to dark in the room that Nathaniel could see his blush. Nathaniel wasn't answering and Marc's mind was racing again. 'I just confessed to him! But he's not saying anything.. is he disgusted now? Does he hate me? Is our friendship over?' He was about to apologize for saying these things but he got pulled into another hug from Nathaniel. Nathaniel chuckled quietly and gave Marc a small kiss on the forehead "I like you too.". Marc was so happy that Nathaniel couldn't see in here because he was pretty sure he was redder than a tomato. He hugged Nathaniel back, hiding his face in Nathaniel's chest out of embarrassment. Though he was nervous and excited beyond the point of being able to sleep, it was calming to hug Nathaniel and knowing that he liked him back.

A few minutes passed in an comfortable silence. Nathaniel spoke up in a soft but quiet tone "Hey Marc? I know you probably don't want to talk about it but.. what was your nightmare?" There were a few seconds of silence before Marc spoke up "I was um.. I was in a big crowd with you and... then I lost you in the crowd... I was so scared I couldn't find you again.." Marc's held Nathaniel really tight as if he would dissapear if he wasn't but Nathaniel just patted his head "It was just a nightmare and you want to know how it is just a nightmare?" Marc looked at him with a curious but confused look. Nathaniel chuckled and said "I will never leave you behind. Never." Marc's breath hitched for a second before he closed his eyes with a smile, whispering "I love you, Nathaniel.." Nathaniel whispered back "I love you too, Marc.". And with that, they both fell asleep. They both sleep until 10am before Marc had to go back home. Before he left though he gave Nathaniel one last kiss. It was small but there was so much love in it, they both couldn't stop smiling afterwards.