Chapter 5: Embarrassment Grows

Jim's POV

More weeks passing by- and I still wasn't convinced. A few girls walked up to me, even Kellie came to me, to talk about how I'm somewhat cruel to treat Mom like that. When I explained it into more detail, they still wouldn't budge. Adamant about aiding my mother in every way possible. They even help her with classes. Kellie doesn't spend much time with me because of that.

Only a few guys support my side. Heck- even a few guys are walking up and talking trash about my mother. Then... the worst part of it all... how Taiko, myself, and that unwanted unborn baby... we all might be half siblings.

Pieces fell together- Principal Smith and my mother. My father and my mother. Apparently, word was that my mother slept with Principal Smith and that's why Taiko was born. He doesn't resemble my father in any way. Yet I do. Confirms the fact that I might be the true child between my mother and father.

What about the unborn infant?

Some say that it's actually Principal Smith's baby. How really... he wanted my mother to shut up about it before he gets beaten up by my father. As much as I wanted to shut it out... it seemed to fit. Principal Smith never really talked to any other girl than my mother in high school. Upset when my mother chose my father instead. 

Upset when they had me...

All that I know was that my mother gave birth to Taiko and me. This next baby will be born. Would it finally reveal my mother's crimes?

Taiko has been getting it hard. Teachers tried to smother the words, but in the end... Taiko was called nothing but an illegitimate child. How he was never meant to be born. Of course, I help him and say that even if we are half brothers... I still cared about him. 

But the fact there was a huge possibility of it... it never seemed to waver.

I watched the days tick by- day after day. Dad's been doing all these weird things to keep my mother happy. Whenever she saw me... she must see me as a monster for saying those words. I'll admit, it may have been cruel- but it's not right. She constantly covers her stomach- like she was protecting a secret. I think Dad is hanging onto her... he may have never heard those words that my mother may have cheated on him.

If he knew... it might be enough to push him off the edge. To lose support of my mother. After all, I could be his true and only son. 

"Dad." I called out to him when he was busy putting groceries away. He was going to pick up my mother later on... but I needed him to know before I lose my time. "Dad, is it true?"

"Is what true?"

"That Taiko and the baby isn't yours?"

A slam on the refrigerator door as it was the only sound that seemed to linger. When I reached out to speak to him further, he gave a growl. "Jim, there's no doubt that they are my kids. What lies have you heard that from?"

"The students. It all seems to fit with Principal Smith's-"

Dad shook his head. "Don't listen to his words. He'll do anything to make you guys believe the wrong things. If you want, we can all take a paternal test. I'm willing to give you my DNA and compare it to Taiko. Do you want that?"

My mouth was left agape when I heard him so willingly to give himself out. But the words he said... could it all be a lie?

"Jim, listen..." he sighed heavily, looking towards the door. "Between that principal and I aren't exactly good. I'll tell you this- he liked your mother. Liked her very much. He never really got the word until Hanji told him she was pregnant and wanted to keep the baby. He made it his mission to hate me. That's all I'm going to tell you."

He walked towards the door, sighing heavily before looking back on me. 

"Jim, please..."

"I'm staying with my answer, Father."

He looked away, nodding his head. "Be it as it may be."

Left alone... it was interesting to hear him not retaliating too much. Perhaps... it's true. Perhaps Taiko and I are half brothers. Maybe Dad just doesn't care.