Betrothal

"Are you leaving again?" Caladwen asked sadly from Megildur. "Yes. I have to accompany the king back to Gondor." Megildur strapped his sword to his waist.

"Are you still not using a bow?"

"In my opinion, a sword is more effective. I have never had the eye to use a bow." Megildur smiled and caressed the handle of his sword with his slender fingers.

"Ada would disagree with you on that matter." Caladwen smirked.

"Ada would disagree on what matter?"

"That a sword is better than a bow." Caladwen smiled at her brother who smiled down at her even when he didn't really feel like smiling.

"Well a bow has been an ancient weapon of our people. It goes well with elves. An arrow is swift and quiet, just like a strong elf warrior. Swords are typically associated with men."

"Thank you, Ada, for the educational speech. I, myself, have to leave now. I hope to see you soon again." Megildur nodded before putting on his winged helmet and bidding them all another farewell before stepping out the door and joining the other king's guards.

---

The night had fallen on the land but Caladwen was not in her bed. She had wrapped a cape around her and was walking towards her and Daeron's spot, a bridge over a river right outside the walls of Minas Ithil.

She saw from afar a hooded figure looking up at the old moon up in the night sky. "Hello, Daeron." she whispered quietly. "Hello, meleth nin." Daeron said when he turned around. His sharp features looked even sharper under the moonlight and his steel gray eyes sparkled like million stars.

"These are for you."

Daeron handed Caladwen some purple flowers. "They are beautiful."

"Not as beautiful as you, the light of my life." Daeron smiled. His expression then turned a bit nervous and flustered. "There was actually something I wanted to do."

Daeron took Caladwen's hands into his and looked deeply into her blue eyes. "Will you, Caladwen Laisidhelien, be my herves in life and death?" He held up a silver band and looked even deeper into her eyes, almost afraid of drowning in them. "Yes, I will be you herves in life and death." Caladwen smiled and took off one of her own silver bands to exchange the rings.

"Come to dinner tomorrow. And bring your sister. We will then announce our betrothal." Caladwen smiled. Daeron kissed Caladwen's hand, his eyes not leaving Caladwen's. That action made Caladwen's fair skin take a rosy undertone and she shyly looked away.

---

Everything was ready. Caladwen paced around in the hall, waiting nervously for her love and his sister. She was clad in a silver gown with golden embroidery and she was wearing the headpiece that Daeron had made her.

"You should stop pacing before you make a hole in the floor." Laisidhel came to her daughter. "You are right." Caladwen sighed at her mother's words and gave her a soft smile.

And then a knock came. Caladwen took a deep breath and exhaled through her mouth before walking up to the door and opening it.

She saw Daeron and his little sister, Vanhya. "Welcome to our humble house." Caladwen smiled at them.

---

"We would like to make an announcement." Daeron said after they had feast for a while. Caladwen raised also and Daeron walked around the table to her.

"We would like to announce our betrothal."

Everyone smiled but Idhrenion. He stood and asked with a calm tone: "Daeron, would you come with me for a moment?"

Daeron nodded and gave Caladwen an assuring smile before following Idhrenion inside.

After a few nerve-racking moments Idhrenion and Daeron walked outside together, both looking rather pleased. Daeron smiled assuringly at Caladwen before sitting down again, continuing on with their feast.

---

"It was wonderful to finally meet you, Vanhya." Caladwen smiled at the shy elfling. "She was happy to meet you too." Daeron assured with a smile.

---

Caladwen was sitting by a window in her room, reading a book about the Valar. She suddenly heard the front door open and somebody coming in.

Rising to her feet she walked downstairs, meeting with her mother, who had also come to see who had arrived at such late hour.

"My ladies." the counselor Handion greeted them. "My lord. Why have you arrived at this hour? Has something happened?" Laisidhel asked with worry laced in her calm tone.

"I have come on urgent matters to speak with lord Idhrenion. Is he present?" Handion asked. Caladwen saw something in his green eyes.

"I will call him for you."

Caladwen watched as her mother went back upstairs. "Are we in danger?" Caladwen finally whispered, her usual joyfulness gone. "I'm afraid that it is not my place to say anything." Handion answered, his voice gloomy while he eyed Caladwen, who was staring at the floor tiles.

"Caladwen, go upstairs." Idhrenion's commanding voice suddenly came from behind them. "Yes, Ada." Caladwen nodded to Handion before going to her sister's room instead of hers.

Valadhiel was already sleeping because of the late hour. Caladwen sat on the bed next to her. She watched how the moon shone on her childish face. She had not seen sadness in her short life and Caladwen hoped that she did not have to either.

---

"Caladwen. Caladwen!" Valadhiel woke her big sister up, who had fallen asleep next to her. "I am up!" she jolted up, her fear still evident from last night.

"You are going to miss breakfast." Valadhiel smiled before walking out of her room, probably going to the balcony. Caladwen took in her surroundings. Nothing bad had happened that was sure. She made her way to her own room and quickly changed into something more appropriate for the new day.

"Ada, is lord Handion still here?" was her first sentence to her father on this bright morning. "No, lord Handion left after our conversation. Was there something you hoped to discuss with him?"

Caladwen didn't answer to his father only took an apple from the table before running out the door to find Daeron.

---

"Meleth nin! Where are you rushing on this beautiful morning?" she heard Daeron's voice from a side street. "I was about to come see you." Caladwen confessed with a shy smile.

"You may accompany me to the workshop."

Daeron took a hold of Caladwen's hand and the walked over to his workshop together.

"So, you seemed quite excited by something. Is there anything you wanted to tell me?"

"Oh, yes! Yes. Counselor Handion came to our house late last night. He and Ada had a word. I'm afraid something awful is going to happen." Caladwen quickly spoke. Daeron's face went even paler than it usually was. "Daeron? You look like you saw something terrible."

"It-it's nothing. Don't worry. So you suspect something is going on?"

"Yes. I'll step by his house later and ask him about it. I'm sure Ada won't tell me anything." Caladwen nodded. "Or you don't have to. Maybe it's nothing?"

"But what if it is?"

"Meleth nin... Don't trouble your pretty head with such matters. I'm sure lord Idhrenion will take care of it." Daeron smiled and placed a stray strand of Caladwen's golden hair behind her ear.

Daeron's words sounded out of character to Caladwen. It seemed to her like there was something he was hiding from her. "Will we meet tonight?"

"Yes, meleth nin." Daeron smiled. Caladwen smiled back at him before going back home.