6:00 AM

Izuru Kamukura was not like any other student, especially ultimates. He was above them— or so he heard. Many of his peers voice similar contextual matters, but he knew, factually, no other being like him could exist as of this time and place. No records, reports, or articles had ever found nor documented an experiment such as himself. The methodology and overtly cautious procedures to create him were outlawed by the World Government under the International Federation of Human Rights, which significantly decreased the percentile possibilities. Lastly, the required skill set and information required to replicate another creature like him were statistically improbable.

Thanks to all of this data, Kamukura was fundamentally altered at his core from the public.

Most students had a family, or memories, or emotions, at the very least, an identity. Kamukura had none of these prerequisites and found he didn't care. As long as he wasn't bored, he didn't mind having nothing. Even now, as he laid his head against the pillar behind him, he could feel the way the lobotomy scar would grind roughly against the opposing texture. It wasn't the worst sensation, but there were certainly more favorable experiences.

Such as the current opportunity making itself known "Kamukura-sama!"

The halls were significantly cleared out since it was so early in the morning. Both Komaeda and Kamukura preferred the mornings simply for the quiet atmosphere.

Komaeda came up to Kamukura quickly with a strangely upbeat skip in his step, "Hey, hey! Have you heard?" Komaeda asked with a small smile, playing his lips. Kamukura felt the familiar tingling sensation in his chest but had yet to conclude a hypothesis of any kind on this odd matter.

He didn't particularly want to either, so he chose to ignore it as he subtly tilted his head inquisitively for Komaeda to continue. "Valentines Day is today!" He ecstatically threw his arms into the air with all the energy of a child. "I doubt worthless trash like me will be allowed anything, but I'm oh so ecstatic to see all the hope from this wonderful event!" Komaeda giggled, the hyper feverish toned one. Kamkura has gotten used to this, but he was still very skeptical of the ideas. "Just imagine all the ultimates putting their talents to use in hopes of gaining that one special persons attention— maybe even affection. Valentine's Day is truly a day of hope!"

Valentine's Day was a holiday heavily celebrated in Japan where girls gave gifts to boys (traditionally chocolates but any gift would do), usually with romantic implications. The day meant nothing to Kamukura, but the fact Komaeda had brought it up must mean something. Still, it was better that he asked, "Do you like a girl?" At the honest curiosity Kamukura displayed Komaeda's face warmed ever so slightly with surprise."What? You don't know?" Kamukura just shrugged. He knew a lot of things, but he wasn't sure what specifically Komaeda was referring to.

"No, Kamukura-san, there's no way anyone could love garbage like me, I don't think anyone could even tolerate my existence. I certainly wouldn't be able to." Komaeda laughed as though he was simply informing the other about the weather. Kamukura offered a very pointed look. "Don't put yourself down. You're worth more to me than this entire facility." Izuru spoke as monotonously as ever, but his words held an unspoken promise to them. "Do I need to get the book again?" Komaeda visibly slumped down from where he had been standing upright. For a guy who claimed to not feel emotions, he sure was passionate about disproving Komaeda's self-deprecating rituals. "No, you don't need to get the book again..." Kamukura hummed a satisfied note."Good, let's go."

And just like that, the two walked to the library to begin their everyday routine. Komaeda read some books while leaning against Kamukura's chest, allowing the other to play with his fluffy hair while Komaeda could relax into those talented hands. It was usually a silent agreement between the two, but sometimes Kamukura would ask him questions about empathy, morals, emotions, and many other things he couldn't yet grasp. Komaeda did his best to answer per usual. "What does love feel like?" Kamukura questioned in his usual curious tone as his finger coiled a particularly large strand of hair. Komaeda hummed as he leaned further back and quickly shot down the leap his heart did. He couldn't let his own emotions get in the way of Kamukura— the ultimate hopes— progress. He had to believe he was only around to help and not for his own selfish whims. If he wasn't, then surely he should just die! The small, possibly unconscious smile Kamukura gave whenever Komaeda was around sure didn't help him believe that, though. He found himself staring up at it for maybe too long because it was beginning to fade again. "Komaeda-kun?"

"Huh? Oh, yeah, " he snapped out of his mild stupor."Love is probably the most complicated emotion." Komaeda leaned back as a finger tapped a rhythmic pattern to his lip in thought. "Love is... like a flower." His brows furrowed as he fought for a better explanation. "It's a fragile seed that needs to be planted. If you give that seed despair, then it'll grow into a brilliant shining hope!" Komaeda happily cheered as he extended his arms to give his final declaration some flourish.

"As the ultimate florist, ultimate gardener, ultimate botanist, and other talents I can say with absolute certainty giving a flower,"despair" will cause it to wilt and die." Komaeda pouted childishly at Kamukura but wasn't about to argue with the literal ultimate debater on his metaphors."Did you at least understand?" At that, Kamukura went silent as he pondered his answer."I believe I have made progress on this emotion..."

Komaeda pushed further into Kamukura's personal space to nuzzle his head into the crook of his neck "ill take what I can get!" He all too happily chirped while desperately trying to ignore the growing heat in his cheeks. Failing to notice the way Kamukura's feature softened into that all too gentle smile again as he carefully threaded fingers through Komaeda's hair.

However, somebody else took notice in the distance.