Seven

They take their time getting back to the house, clothes damp and limbs relaxed. The conversation is meandering, as always, sometimes about the history of the town (Jungkook tells as much as he knows), sometimes regarding which shop sells the best poke (apparently Taehyung already has an elaborate rating system figured out based on fish freshness, veggie ratio, and whether the seaweed is fresh or prepackaged).

By the time they get back home, it's nearly midnight. They climb up the rusted metal stairs together, close but not touching. Taehyung pauses in front of the door to his suite, "Well, thanks for dinner, and all the extra adventures afterwards."

Jungkook's cheeks flush, but he keeps his voice casual, "You don't have to thank me, I didn't make dinner."

"Yeah but it was nice to have company. Namjoon and Jin get way too sappy when you're not around."

"Oh you have no idea, I've had to live with it for years." Jungkook rolls his eyes in pretend mockery, but then adds, "What's your plan for tomorrow?"

A shrug, "I don't know. I prefer not having a plan, you know, total slacker style, just waste the days away."

Jungkook chuckles, because it's such a lie. Namjoon has told him already, Taehyung comes over almost everyday now, organizing all the bills and receipts into neat little piles, then entering everything carefully into a giant spreadsheet that gives Namjoon "a terrible headache just standing close to it". The white plastic chairs and table in the front are always wiped and neatly arranged now, and even the storage area seems more organized. Taehyung is careful about it, never moving things from where they belong, but just lines up the boards and flappers based on size as Jungkook does when he has time, and puts all the goggles in plastic bins.

No, these are not slacker behaviors, Taehyung is something else entirely. Something gentle and funny yet reticent at the same time, retracting into the shadows when the day becomes a little too much. Like right now, standing under the one dim light bulb by the door, Taehyung's lanky torso is swimming in the damp grey t-shirt, and his eyes are glazed over again, thoughts drifting away, to a place locked and hidden from others.

Jungkook frowns and steps closer, "Hey, grab a dry shirt when you get back inside. Also have some hot tea. There's an old electric kettle downstairs that we never use, take it, ask Joon about it tomorrow."

"Dude, does it look like I'm making tea tonight? The second I get in I'm probably gonna pass out on the bed."

Jungkook narrows his eyes, "Don't make me come over to make you do it."

Taehyung blinks at the words, hands tucked into the jean pockets, "Well... if you insist..."

Jungkook pauses, tries to scan Taehyung's eyes but Taehyung's looking down, averting his gaze. He leans in closer and is about to speak when the other door creaks open from behind them.

Jungkook turns around to face Namjoon in his cartoon koala pajama, with an awkward grin by his lips, "Sorry, I um - I thought it was you, Gukkie. Sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt - lemme just get back inside - you guys keep talking - lemme just -" he's backing into the open door clumsily, Jungkook can't help but feel concerned that Namjoon might trip over himself or bang into the door frame.

Or both.

The luck. Tonight is definitely not his night. Jungkook purses his lips, and eyes Taehyung apologetically, "I should probably go."

Taehyung nods, and smiles at Namjoon, "It's ok, we were done anyways. Goodnight, I'll come over in the afternoon, Jimin dropped off more receipts yesterday for this week's tours."