Chapter 8

When we got into the car I was shivering, and Chris noticed. “Are you cold? Here, I have a sweatshirt in the back, do you want that?” Chris went to the back of the car and got his sweatshirt. He came back and handed it to me. “But won’t you be cold?” I asked. “Nah, I’ll be okay. It’s not too far.” “Thanks for this Chris, I had a really great time tonight.” Chris started the car and after a few minutes I fell asleep. When we got back to the hotel Chris bumped me “Hey, we’re here.” He said in a gentle voice. “Carry me?” I asked in a groggy voice. He came over to my side of the car and opened my door and picked me up, like my dad did when I was a kid. I giggled and wrapped my arms around his neck.

He carried me all the way to our rooms. He put me down when we got to my room. I started to open my door but he stopped me, “Okay, wait. Before you go I have a question. Where exactly do we stand?” I looked at him and thought for a minute, I gave him a peck on the cheek and said “Goodnight Chris.” I smiled at him; he smiled back and said “Night.”

We stood like that, just looking at each other, for what felt like forever and then I closed the gap between us and I hugged him. I got on my tip toes and whispered in his ear, “Day 362, your hoodie smells really good and I’m keeping it.” I turned and went into my room without another word.