By the time we had finished up at the water park all of us were tired and hungry. We went into town and stopped at one of my favorite restaurants to get a late lunch, I was sat next to Tommy, Toby across from us. "So, did the water park live up to your expectations?" I asked them before taking a bite into my sandwich.

Toby nodded his head, "it was sick, I liked the slides the most, they went so fast" I giggled at his comment, "You sound like a child" Tommy told him off, I gently hit his arm, "leave him alone" "I am a child man, sorry I had fun". We finished up eating and parted ways, for now, the two of them went back to their hotel to clean up and get ready for dinner, as did I.

As I was walking upstairs my mom stopped me, "Violet" I glanced over at her, "here" she handed me a white envelope with my name on it, there was no return address, "Thanks" I said as I grabbed it. I closed my bedroom door and sat at my desk. I opened the envelope, there was a birthday card.

I pulled it out and opened it,

'happy birthday Violet. how old are you now? like 17? i hope you and your mother are doing alright. have a good day kiddo, - dad'

I felt my eyes begin to water, I closed the card and let out a deep sigh. I hadn't seen or talked to my dad since I was 9. When he and my mom divorced, he packed up his things and left, cutting off all possible contact. I don't know where he is or what he's doing. you where close dad, a year off.

I leaned back in my chair, running my hands through my still-damp hair. I didn't wanna let it ruin my mood, but it was hard not to. I showered and got cleaned up for dinner, changing into a simple white slip dress with my black converse. I let my hair air dry, and only did some very simple makeup.

"you ready?" my mom yelled from downstairs, "yeah, coming" I got up and followed her outside into the car. "who was the letter from?" she asked, "just an old friend" I lied, but she didn't think much of it. We arrived at the restaurant, they had only gotten there a few minutes prior.

Tommy had on a white crewneck with some blue jeans, Toby was wearing the same thing but instead with a dark green top. I met their parents, forcing a smile. All of us got seated at a table up against a big bay window looking out onto the river.

I stared blankly at the water, zoning out. My train of thought was brown when Toby nudged my arm, "you alright?" he asked quietly, "yeah, I'm good, just thinking" "about what?" "a little bit of everything"