Chapter 16

Happy Friday Everyone!!! Please enjoy! 

~

Alex, for the second time, was not dressed in a suit. Standing at the entrance in a simple blue sweater and dark jeans, he flashed a playful smile. His tousled hair combed to one side, eyes shining bright in excitement, something I didn't think possible for someone with deep black eyes as his. It's unfathomable how handsome he can be in such simple casual wear.

He gives me a look, "Wow, someone's dressed for a date."

When I don't respond, he lets out a chuckle. "I'm serious; you look cute."

"I'm dressed comfortably," I attempt to defend myself, but he's not convinced.

"I'm sorry our adventure has to be so late, but you know I'm a vampire that can only head out at night," he jokes before gesturing me out the door.

It was 9 PM, around the time he usually would have come. I get it. He didn't want to be recognized. Besides, our friendship/partnership was based on secrecy anyway, so I didn't mind a late-night adventure.

"I don't think you really should be out during the day anyway. How's your head?" he asks me, again placing a hand on my head as we exit the building.

"It's ok, much better than yesterday. I think it was a little much for me to handle yesterday, with Jessica. It was a long day," I admitted to him, it was odd, how easy it was for us to fall back into our routine, even months after not seeing each other. He made it easy to talk to him, as intimidating as his title may be.

"Yea, yesterday was insane. I'm still pissed about it, to be quite honest with you." He opens the door of the black car, waiting for me to get into the backseat before he follows.

"I mean, it's very irrational; for you to go to a parade with a damn concussion. You guys must've waited for hours in the cold— and the fans! Even I have trouble dealing with the horrid screaming. I can't imagine what it's like for someone with a head injury." he shook his head, disapproving of yesterday.

"As I explained, Jessica means a lot to me. She's also a huge fan; it was the least I can do."

Alex's pink lips are pursed together. A nonchalant gaze settles on me. He's quiet, resting a finger on his prominent chin. He doesn't care that I'm fidgeting across from him, in this limousine. Nor does it bother him, how silent the ride is.

"So, where are we going exactly?"

"Does it matter? You're trusting me to take you somewhere in the middle of the night." There's a flicker in his raven-black eyes when he alludes to my absurdity.

What he said made me realize how trusting I could sometimes be—maybe ignorant was the right word. I went into the car, willingly without questioning his motives. There was his chauffer as well—That's two men against me, who knows who else was following us. He probably had a posse with him.

"Pft." I brush him off, "What can you do? You're a Prince."

"Exactly, I'm the Prince. I can do whatever I want." His eyes are dead on me, making me uncomfortable.

"Ellie, this is why I'm frustrated with you. Why are you so trusting? It's refreshing to see, but also very foolish of you." He scolds again. I swear it's like he's looking for someone to let out his anger, and unfortunately, that person happens to be me.

"I can fend for myself—"

"Oh, be real, Ellie. You're going to fend yourself when I have the upper hand? I'm glad you can trust me, but I'm trying to prove that you naively think you can handle situations you can't." He has a point.