prologue - the trio

Layla's POV

"Ugh, why do we have to go to this stupid assembly?" I groaned as Riley pulled me out of bed. "We've already been here for a year. I don't see how this makes sense." I stumbled into the closet with Riley laughing at me. "Shut up Rye," I said using his age old nickname from middle school.

"My dad wants us to welcome the ducks," he sneered. "Personally we're going to find out how we can make their lives miserable at Eden Hall." He stood and gently pushed Layla towards the bathroom door. "Hurry up Lays we gotta go"

And there it is. I call him Rye, he calls me Lays. I wandered to the bathroom thinking about what he said. This whole making the ducks life miserable sounds a little extreme. But I trust Riley, we've been best friends for close to 3 years now. He seems rough around the edges but under his reputation is someone completely different. 

"Lays, you about done in there? We need to get going. The assembly starts in 20 minutes and I want to get good seats," Riley calls to me snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Yeah one second," I call back, putting my hair in a low ponytail. "There. Let's go." Acting "casual" I walk up to Riley and adopt a British accent. "Hello love, care to escort me to the auditorium?"

"Why of course my lady," he replies in a terrible imitation of my accent. "Off to the ball we go."

As we dramatically walk out the door and into the hallway I spot Scooter also coming to get me. Little late buddy but I appreciate the thought.

"Hey guys," he greets us, "going to the assembly?" 

"Well of course," I reply, still in my British accent. "Riley love, you wouldn't mind if I had two escorts?"

"Of course not love," he replies with his accent. He then leans and whispers to me not so quietly, "We all know who you like better."

"Hey I heard that," Scooter laughs. "Well then let's be off," he announces in an even worse accent than Riley's.

"That was terrible. Nice try kid," I say between laughs, "We can practice later. For now we have an assembly to catch."

author's note: hey everybody thanks for reading please comment any suggestions and let me know if you like it. also if any writers want to give me a shout out or if you can recommend this book that would be greatly appreciated.