chapter 16 - the conference

Adam's POV

It was finally my last class if they day. Today seemed to drag on and on until finally we were close to the need of the day. Surprisingly enough I hadn't been able to talk to any of the ducks today. In fact I only saw Dwayne for a quick second as he was rushing down the hallway. Hopefully everything was okay between me and the ducks still because Connie was supposed to be my class partner.

The teacher had just began the lesson when Connie came bursting through the door to her seat beside me. She set her bag down on the floor then handed me a folded up piece of paper that was from the varsity coach.

     Adam. Our practice has been cancelled for today. There is a board meeting concerning you and the rest of junior varsity's scholarships. Please attend but do not worry about missing practice as the rest of the varsity players chose to attend the meeting as well. I hope the best decision can be made.
-Coach Wilson

I glanced sideways at Connie to see a concerned gaze on her face as she watched our teacher. I didn't blame her though. The thought of possibly losing our scholarships was scary. If we did the ducks would be well and truly broken up. Most of the out of state ducks would probably go back  their home states and it would be a while before we saw them again.

Before I knew it the school day was over and it was time for us to go to this meeting. Connie and I walked as slowly as we could down the halls towards the conference room. On our way there I had decided to rejoin the ducks after this, since I was fighting for my scholarship too. 

~

"Do I have a motion for reconsideration," Dean Buckley said as he scanned over the board members to see if anyone had raised their hand. He finally turned to Coach Orion and told him that there was nothing he could do without a motion to reconsider.

"Well then," Coach Orion responded, "you have left us no choice but to bring in our attorney."

Everyone's heads turned towards the door as Gordon Bombay, famous Minnesota lawyer came into the room. 

He proceeded to lay out this long speech about how he was there to make sure that the board made a good decision. Dean tried to fight it by claiming this wasn't a legal matter but it was no use. Bombay was determined to get our scholarships reinstated. He pointed out that the scholarships were a contract and since we had not formally broken any rules they could not be revoked. Further going into detail he explained how he got a good education at Eden Hall and that we deserved it too. 

Everyone in the room was silent. The ducks wore victorious smiles, varsity wore angry glares, and the board members were looking around at each other anxiously trying to decided what the best course of action would be.

After a moment of silence one of the board members raised her hand, "I move that the scholarships be.....reinstated."

That was one small victory but it wasn't enough yet.

"Do I have a second?" Dean called as he stood worried at his podium.

After Bombay's speech nobody dared try to stop the reinstating. All of the board members raised their hands to second.

"Scholarships reinstated." Dean Buckley hit his gavel on his desk signifying the end of the meeting. 

The ducks spirits were obviously lifted. We had gotten our scholarships back and I had told them about my plan to rejoin them for the JV-Varsity showdown. Charlie and I had made up so it only seemed fair that I played with my friends. We were trying to leave the meeting so we could have a short practice tonight since it hadn't run into our practice time when Riley and the rest of varsity stopped us.

"Congratulations on ruining our school," Riley said venomously while Layla stood beside him looking uncomfortable.

"It's our school too-" Charlie started before he got cut off by Linda.

"It's everyone's school you stupid jock," she said as Charlie glanced at her proudly. 

"But don't you get it," Riley replied, "it'll never be your school. You were brought in as a publicity stunt, our own little affirmative action. Your fancy lawyer kept you in on a technicality but you'll never belong. See you at the showdown."

"Oh and one more thing," Russ decided to add before varsity could walk away. "When we win ducks fly and warriors die."

"You're on." Riley looked back at Russ then the rest of the team and chuckled before turning and leading his team away.

author's note:

yes i am aware that isn't completely how the conversation goes i didn't feel like looking it up and i wanted to add the Russ line so yeah

ps:sorry for the short chapter