chapter 12 - moving forward

Adam's POV

"What? No way," I exclaimed. "Please tell me you're joking."

"I'm sorry Adam. But it's true. Hans passed the night before last." Connie stepped to close the space between us in a hug as I stood there in shock. How could Hans be gone? He had been a mentor to the ducks for so long. It was almost impossible to imagine going to the shop with him not there. With someone else running things.

"Banks," Connie called waving a hand in front of my face. My attention snapped back to her and she continued. "The ducks have been released from school tomorrow to go the the service and Dean said you can come since you're basically a duck."

"Okay thanks. I'll be there." Stunned. That was the best way I could describe it. It didn't feel real. My mind kept saying that I could go to the shop tonight and he'd be there sharpening skates. But he wouldn't be there. And that was so hard to imagine.

~

The service was one of the worst things I had ever been to. Beyond the fact that Hans had died, which was torture enough, I could feel the tension and hate. Charlie was there and it seemed like he couldn't decide to glare at the ducks, Bombay, or me. It wasn't a surprise to see Bombay here. Even though his job was in California, I knew he wouldn't have missed this. Hans was such a big part of not only his hockey career but the reason Bombay had taken us to the Goodwill Games. Without Hans, Bombay may have never got back into coaching us and he definitely never would have started playing again.

Charlie was standing with his mother across from me. Once Bombay showed up and put the jersey on the casket, Charlie took off. As soon as the service was done and Bombay had briefly spoken to the ducks he left. I wasn't surprised that he wanted out of there but I had thought he would've wanted to try to talk to Charlie. Maybe he had something to do while he was here. I shrugged and turned around to see Connie standing behind me. She started talking before I could say anything.

"Hi Adam. Um I don't know if you have anything to do after school tomorrow but the ducks are going to the park on Ledon Street and they wanted me to ask if you wanted to come play street hockey with us. They really aren't mad at you Adam. I think they realize it's not your fault," she said quietly.

"Oh. Yeah I can come. We don't have practice tomorrow so I'll be there. I gotta get to practice right now though. See you tomorrow Connie." I gave her a quick hug and then took off back towards the school.

author's note: this is a short chapter but I just wanted to publish something because I will be busy this weekend. maybe one more update. anyway...thanks for reading and don't forget to vote and comment! thanks so much!!