chapter 1 - crash and burn

Adam's POV

The first day of school. I wonder how this year is going to turn out. Will the school make fun of the team because they aren't rich? What if I don't get first line? Dad would kill me. All these thoughts were running through my head as I skated with the ducks towards Eden Hall. Suddenly everyone started cheering. I looked up and saw Charlie and Goldberg jump off a bridge to come back with us.

"C'mon guys we are already late let's sneak in the back," Charlie called out. "Through here hurry up." We quickly went through the door only to find out that it led onto the stage. Hurrying as we were, we surely enough went stumbling onto the stage bringing the curtains crashing down. 

Way to go Charlie, I thought, our first day and we're already embarrassing ourselves.

Charlie is the first to stand up and announce our presence. "Hi, we're the ducks." By now the entire auditorium is laughing. I look out and see the out of state ducks looking embarrassed. And of course, just our luck, is the varsity team sitting behind them. Wait. There's a girl on varsity?!? She must be really good.

"Uh Banks are you done staring at the crowd?" Charlie questioned. "Cause we probably should get off the stage now." 

"Oh yeah sorry." Shoot how long have I been laying here. Whatever. Time to go.

Layla's POV

"Well if it isn't the rejects," Riley mocked. We were coincidentally sitting behind half the ducks so of course Riley started his plan. 

"I think you've mistaken us for somebody else," one of them replied with a cowboy accent. "We're the ducks, the new hockey team."

"And we're varsity, the only hockey team," I retorted beating Riley to the punch line. "You-" My next statement was cut short by the curtains of the stage coming crashing down. We all looked up to see the remainder of the ducks piled up on the stage. I turned, laughing, to Riley. "Rye this is perfect. They have already embarrassed themselves. That makes our job a whole lot easier."

He looked at me with an approving look before replying. "I like your thought process Lays. Also I have a job for you. My father wanted one of the varsity players to give the ducks a tour and what not. Can you do it?"

"Yeah sure," I said before laughing. "This is going to be quite an interesting year."

author's note: hey everyone! please vote and comment so I know if you actually like the story so far.