chapter 9 - confusing feelings

Adam's POV

I really wanted to talk to the ducks. I wanted to tell them how sorry I was for everything that had happened and that I didn't plan any of it. But Charlie was nowhere to be found. I had gone all day at school without seeing him which was weird because we were in the same math class.

"Connie," I called out to her, "wait up." I ran over to her as she looked back but just continued walking.

"I'm sorry for trying to ditch you Banks but if word gets to Charlie that I'm talking to you he'll hate me," she informed me with a sad look on her face. 

"It's fine and I won't be her long I just wanted to know where Charlie and Fulton are. They weren't there in math."

"Oh. Yeah. Charlie and Fulton quit the team after the game. My best guess is that they left Eden Hall too because they were only here for hockey. They both seemed to hate it here."

"Really? Okay thanks anyway I gotta get to practice. See you later."

"Okay bye Adam."

~

With 15 minutes until practice started, I raced down the hallway into our locker room to get ready for practice. Luckily I wasn't the last one there. I quickly changed and got out onto the ice just in time. Coach Wilson started talking as I came up next to Layla.

"Did I miss anything?" I whispered to her hoping coach wouldn't notice.

"Nope he just started talking when you got out here loser," she responded.

"Very kind words shortie. In fact-" I got cut off by Coach Wilson calling to us.

"Banks. Layla. Go with Riley for the scrimmage," he called assigning positions. "Riley center, Layla left wing, and Banks right wing. We are trying something new out today." Confused, I skated to the right of Riley to start the game. Why in the world was I playing right wing? And why was I with the first line. Oh well. First line anything is better than third line. Coach blew the whistle and the scrimmage began.

Our new line was virtually untouchable. We scored a total of 19 goals against the other two lines. Coach Wilson was visibly impressed and seemed happy with our line. Riley looked slightly annoyed but also kinda shocked. Layla looked like she could care less who was the right wing as long as they could score goals, which we did. So overall she seemed pretty content. 

We then did tons of line drills to practice our plays and teamwork. My only thought was how Riley would react if Coach moved me to first line. I knew Layla might not like it but she would put up with it to keep her position since she was less influential than Riley. 

After what seemed like a really short practice, it was really 3 hours, Coach Wilson called the team over to the bench.

"Great practice team," he started. "The lines looked solid and defense was strong. However, we will be moving Banks to first line right wing."

No way. It's actually happening. Except....

"We'll be happy to have him Coach," Riley announced. "I'm sure that he'll perform well and make varsity proud in the first line." What in the world??? There's no way Riley actually wanted me on his line. Right?

"I agree with Riley," Layla said. "Banks played right wing with us in the JV - Varsity scrimmage and I was impressed. So, I guess we can keep him."

What is happening? Both Layla and Riley want me on their line? This is going to be a great season.

Layla's POV

What was going on with me? Why was I okay with Adam joining my line? And why the hell was I proud of him? I could see the suppressed look of shock as both Riley and I told him and the team that we would be glad to have him on our line. But my biggest question was why Riley accepted him. Deciding to talk to him later about it, I walked next to Scooter off the ice. He was looking down at me with a question look.

"I'll tell you later," I mouthed to him as he nodded understanding. Meanwhile, I needed to figure out what I was going to tell Scooter because I honestly had no idea. There was one thing for sure, this was one of the craziest practices ever. 

And little did I know but across the locker room, Adam Banks was thinking the same thought, trying to figure out why he cared what I thought about him.

author's note: hi!!! thanks so much for reading! please vote and comment if you liked it! i love hearing your feedback. and if anyone has suggestions about new chapters please message me or leave a comment and i will give you credit! thanks and have a great day!!!

also i just published my harry potter story if you could check that out thanks!!