chapter 17 - start from the beginning

just.... be prepared
Layla's POV

I stood slightly shaking my head as Riley was trying to intimidate the ducks after the board meeting. Honestly, I felt bad for them a lot of the time. Riley did tend to over do the whole intimidate them and get the to do what you want thing. But every time I tried to hint it to him it turned into a lecture about how we had to protect our reputation as varsity. It was no use. So I did my best to stay out of it because that wasn't what I wanted the ducks to see me as anymore.

Glancing up when one of the ducks started making a bet with Riley I noticed Adam looking right at me. My cheeks burned red and I instantly looked down. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Riley's head turn slightly and drop into a frown before readjusting his attention back to the ducks. Scooter reached to put his hand on my shoulder from behind me, seeing the interaction between the two of us.

"You're on," Riley decided making me jump in surprise. After a second I realized he was talking about the bet on the showdown game. Luckily nobody had noticed my slight confusion as both teams turned and started to wait for each other. Before I could follow after the rest of the team Scooter stopped me with a look that I could instantly read. He wanted me to talk to Adam. I sighed and nodded then turned around to go get the person I was supposed to talk to.

"Banks," I called trying to get him to stop. I didn't know if i was happy or disappointed that he stopped and after telling Charlie he would meet them in the dorm, he walked over to me.

Desperately I tried to steady my hands as they started violently shaking. I hope he didn't notice. Now, where to even begin. Before I even had a chance to start talking he did.

"Layla, I have a feeling I know what you're going to say."

Oh, was all I could think. He must know I thought dully.

"Just don't say it," he continues, "because if it is what I'm thinking I don't want to hear it. You want the truth? The whole truth not just the bits you've been told? I like you. You're pretty and smart and funny and athletic and a hell of a hockey player."

"I-," the words stop. I have none. That was totally not what I was expecting. We stand there watching each other for a moment while I decide what I want to say. I take a deep breath and my speech doesn't exactly go how I want.

"Adam, I'm sorry. For a lot of things. I got a bit carried away with Riley's determination to destroy the ducks that I became someone I didn't want to. That someone hurt people. Including you."

He starts to open his mouth so I cut him off again.

"The point is, I made you my enemy. Whether you view it that way or not, how we treated the ducks and you at first leaves no room for anything else." I sigh and look down at my shoes. This is not going as planned. I don't know what I had planned but this.... this is not it.

"Well guess what," he finally starts talking with an edge in his voice, "I forgive you. Okay? It's over. I know that wasn't you calling the shots.

I don't like how quickly he can read me.

"Layla you need to listen to me." He no longer sounds like he's carefully trading across ice. Now his source sounds like steel. "I know you better than you think I do. From watching, from listening, from talking to Scooter. So you need to understand this. Stop telling me that I don't understand what it's like to have your friends force you to be someone you don't want to be."

The look in his eyes, wild and angry seeming to mask an underlying sense of pain and vulnerability is enough to tell me this is a bit of a sore subject for him. I decide to avoid it as best as possible.