Tangled Webs: Nine

__NINE__

"Thank you very much," Chaeyoung says to the crew as she bids farewell to them after throwing one last look at the set she's grown familiar with.

They just finished filming what would be her last guest's appearance on The Masked Singer and while she would miss it terribly, she would be glad of one thing.

That hers and Woozi's paths wouldn't cross as often anymore. Hopefully never again.

It's strange how the attitude of people can change as swiftly as the wind's direction. She only wishes she knew the reason his did a whole 180.

When she'd gone to greet him before heading to the set, like she's grown used to do after they started talking to each other, he'd sent her the darkest glare she's ever received before turning away from her. She'd been so stunned, lingering in the doorway of his waiting room in frozen bafflement before gathering her wits and heading back to hers, vexed, wondering all the way what she's done to piss him off.

The last time they'd talk had been at the party, and sure she only talked to him for a short time, and maybe she'd been distracted during their conversation but it's not like he invited her himself, nor did she promised him to spend the evening together. He never even mentioned the party to her!

It leaves her wondering about the truth behind Jungkook's warnings about him, if maybe it hadn't been such a fabricated story as she might have thought.

She smiles a little at the thought of the brown-haired man with the doe eyes as she walks back to her dressing room. While he actually held his deal of no sex at the party, they did leave together to end back at his dorm when the tension between them raised to levels too high and dangerous as they kept on dancing and sharing burning stares.

Then only one look was needed before they silently rushed to leave.

When did it become a natural routine for her to spend so much time with Jeon Jungkook?

Leaving the party with him almost got her into trouble with Jennie whose plan to ditch early had crumbled with her hurried departure. "You have no idea what I had to endure!" she'd told her the next morning during breakfast, her stare burning as if the rapper was trying to read into her soul. She then barked questions at her, why did you leave, where did you go, what happened, but thankfully Jisoo intervened which saved her from coming up with a lie, distracting Jennie enough that the issue left her mind.

For now.

But she can't keep doing this much longer. She hates lying, even by omission.

"Chaeyoung."

She turns at the sound of her name but wishes she hadn't when she sees Woozi walking to her, his eyes still a cold storm.

He previously answered all her attempts to chat with one-syllable words and now he's calling to her?

Still, Chaeyoung smiles at him because she doesn't hold grudges. Maybe he's having a bad day, got some bad news just before getting here and wasn't in the mood to chat. "Hi. It's too bad that it was our last episode, right? I'll miss recording this show every week."

He stares at her and her smile wavers at the blank expression of his face.

"So you're sleeping with Jeon Jungkook. You looked chummy too, must have been going on for a while... You must be amazing to grab his attention and hold it still."

Her mouth slacks open at his words, leaving her completely speechless. She stands there, blinking dumbly at him as her insides start shaking.

What to answer? Her hands are clenched at her sides, her heart pounding in her chest as she tries to stare at anything but him. Her cheeks are flushed with anger, and her eyes can't look at him, can't stand the contempt she just saw in them. He has no right to judge her, to try to degrade her.