Chapter 7 - Recruit

The screaming continued, as did the constant banging at the door. We all looked at eachother, uncertainty displayed on all of our faces. Could she really be a survivor?

"I'll go check the window." Jimin whispered. We all nodded in response to his idea, as he walked towards the barricaded door. He removed a box that covered the small circular windows engraved into the double doors. After taking a few seconds to peer through, he looked back at us, nodding reassuringly.

Hesitantly, we began to remove the objects that were in the way and then unlocked the door. Not even a millisecond passed, as the woman burst through, salty waterfalls racing down her pale cheeks.

Her eyes darted back and forth, looking us all up and down.
"You're not doctors?!" she cried, looking utterly hopeless. Her hair was filled with multiple shades of pink, tied into a messy bun. She appeared thin, as though she hadn't eaten for a few days. Shaking in fear, she looked up at us, expecting an unrealistic answer.
"No, we aren't." Jungkook replied, crossing his arms and looking her up and down, Judging her. I rolled my eyes, his rude attitude wasn't just directed at me then.
She turned around to leave, giving up her last bits of hope.
"W-wait what's that?!" Taehyung muttered, pointing his finger at the woman's shoulder. I focused in on the area, and noticed a hole in her shirt, the whole area was covered in crimson blood. Looking closer, I realised that there were bite marks pierced into her skin. My eyes widened. How did we not notice that till now??
"What happened to you?" I asked, fearing that this truly was some sort of zombie apocalypse.
She froze in her place.
"My brother.. H-he was going to eat me." She collapsed to the ground, breaking down in immensely heavy tears.

"Where is he now?" I questioned, trying to understand more.
"H-he's back at home still, I hope." Her expression was grave and she seemed completely lost.
"Take me to him." I don't know what compelled to to say that but, I felt terrible just leaving her in that state.
"Wait Y/N, you shouldn't! You know what happened with mark!" Jimin spoke, frustrated with my reckless actions. I turned and smiled at him.
"But if Jungkook comes too, we might be okay!" I directed my gaze at the other boy, who was still in a foul mood. To my surprise, he rolled his eyes, sighed and nodded. I guess he understands and would like to help too, considering his brother is currently missing.

"Jimin and Taehyung, you should take care of Lisa." I commanded them both, noticing that taehyung was still mortified over the woman's shoulder. Jungkook patted his shoulder in comfort.

"We won't be long!" I yelled, picking up a bag of supplies, including a med kit.

—————————————————

Peeking out of the hospital front doors, I noticed a parade of flesh eating monsters wandering in all sorts of directions. There are so many of them..

On our way down to the exit, I discovered that the woman's name was sunmi, and that her brother was hoseok. She explained that her parents were attacked in front of the two, while sat down eating dinner. The mere thought of that scenario frightened me immensely.

I looked up at Jungkook, feeling a bit anxious. He turned his head, meeting my gaze, and although he seemed grumpy earlier, he actually smiled. I rubbed my eyes, taking a second glance at this expression, however it only lasted a second. Typical.

Only now did I realise that this man besides me was rather dashing. Muscular, sharp jawline and beautiful doe eyes. It was as though I was surviving alongside a walking talking piece of art. Despite this, his attitude did seem to piss me off, especially when he's lucky enough to have a brother to begin with.

"Am I that good looking?" Brought out of my trance, I blinked a few times. I looked away, noticing my actions, and turned a deep shade of red. Jungkook was giving me the most judgmental stare I've ever received in my life. this is so humiliating.

"S-so.. how are we going to get past them?" I questioned, trying to change the topic onto something more serious. I still felt his stare on me. Probably looking prideful or something.

"when I tried to get here, I managed to use as many objects to hide behind so that they didn't notice me." Sunmi spoke, the thought of that idea didn't sit well with me.
"Is there no other way?" I asked, hopefully. Unfortunately, she shrugged.
"Although, I do know that they lack the brain cells that they once had when they were living. So I don't think it will be as hard as you think. Just don't make much sound and move swiftly." her words reassured me, I looked up at Jungkook with confidence - he appeared just as determined.

And thus, we began to create a plan of action.

Jungkook was the one to go first. He discreetly sprinted out of the front doors and slipped behind a couple of bins that were situated on the pavement. Once he got there safely, he looked around, spotting the planks of wood that leant against the wall of a tall building. In no time, he was behind them. Now it was Sunmis turn. Once she was behind the bins, Jungkook ran to the other side of the road, hiding in an alleyway. Shortly after, our new recruit left the trash and darts toward the wooden planks. They both glanced over to me, signalising that it was now my turn.

I ran. Not looking around to the disgusting creatures stumbling over eachother in the street. My heart rate was uneven, pure adrenaline running through my veins. Almost there now. The bins were centimetres away. I smiled, feeling victorious for once in my life.

However, All smiles stopped, when I tripped, Falling flat on my face. Oh hell no.

slowly, I turned my head to the wandering beasts. Every single one of their heads was pointing in my direction, completely induced by the sight of fresh meat.

"Y/N RUN!" My companions screamed in fear for my life. I obeyed, getting up quickly and running over to the alleyway. Sunmi followed, scampering away from the hideous beings that were now galloping towards us at full speed.

Once we reached Jungkook, we ran down the alleyway. I smelt dampness as I ran, mixed with a slight scent of blood. We took a left into another street, however before entering the opening, a tall figure came into our field of vision.

His outfit was in a state, as though we was wearing nothing but rags. His eyes, just like marks, crying tears of blood.

I looked over to my shoulder, noticing the beasts still charging towards us.

Closing my eyes, I held onto Jungkook, quivering in fear.

how many times have I been put in this situation..?

despite the high levels of danger, nothing came.

Until I heard Sunmis cry.

"HOSEOK, NO!"

silence filled the alleyway.