run away

challenge: 1k celebration by @marvelgirl7 on tumblr

pairing: mobster!bucky x reader

words: 1,460 words

warnings: sadness, angst, some mentions of violence, i think there's like one sexual innuendo, and a little baby bit of fluff

summary: bucky comes back for his girl, and they leave together.

"Hello, doll, you miss me?" His voice rang in your ears. You thought you'd never hear it again after you ran away three months before, but it seemed that you never could escape it. Whether that was a good thing or not, you didn't know.

Tears filled your eyes, and you turned around to face James Buchanan Barnes. God, he looked tired, but still every ounce as handsome as the day you had left him. Deep bags surrounded his eyes, and he had grown out a beard at this point, but the steely blue eyes you had loved your whole life were still there. You could see the wet marks tracing his face left by the tears that had fallen, and you knew that he was as relieved as you were seeing each other again. "Hi, James." You sniffled out.

In moments, the tall man had dropped to his knees in front of you and buried his head in your stomach. His muscular arms wrapped around your waist and you ran your hands through his now long hair. His sobs and your sniffles rang out in harmony around the small apartment, and though you had the love of your life wrapped around you right now, you could only stare at the door ahead of you, which still hung wide open. While, yes, you were ecstatic to see Bucky, you had no clue as to how he found you or why he was there. Perhaps your father and Tony Stark used his high tech security to search for you, and they wanted you back so they could kill you, which scared you to the bone. It was no secret that mob bosses were harsh, but after witnessing your father shoot a man through the head at your own dining room table when you were six, upsetting any of them was your greatest fear.

You had been promised to marry Bucky before being traded to the Stark family, as after their marriage with the Potts family, the Rogers family got bumped down to the fourth wealthiest in the city. Once you had found out that you were the peace treaty, you fled quickly and without a word, leading you to this shitty Montana apartment.

"Buck, why are you here? Who sent you?" His arms dropped to his sides and you took a step back. As much as you wanted to stay in his arms, you knew that it was potentially dangerous, as he and his family were still good allies with your father.

"No one sent me, Y/N. The trade is over." He smiled briefly at it, tears still leaking from his eyes. You gasped. It was over?

"What did you guys negotiate?" You were curious, They hadn't even told you about your own trade, yet here Bucky stood, telling you that all four families had come to an agreement.

"Well, our best boy Stevie has himself a wife now." Your eyes widened as Bucky chuckled. "Yeah, he and one of Tony's associates, Peggy Carter, got married, so now the Rogers and Starks are in cahoots. Tony and Pepper agreed to back out on your trade." He grabbed your hands and pulled you into his chest. His hands desperately pushed into your back, trying to bring you as close as possible, until you grinned, feeling something by your legs.

"Is that a gun in your pants, Barnes, or are you just happy to see me?" You giggled lightly, and he just rolled his eyes, but was secretly happy that he could get your smiling again.

"That's a gun, sweetheart," he smirked and pulled the gun from his belt, making your eyes widen immensely. "So, now that you aren't being forced into the Stark family, what do you say? Will you come back home with me?"

His smile, the one you loved so much, was so hopeful, but you were upset that you were the one to make it falter. After a few moments of silence, he spoke up again. "Y/N? You can't be seriously thinking about staying here."

Tears filled your eyes again as you met his blue eyed gaze. "I can't go back, Buck. You saw how easy it was for my dad to get rid of me, and for what? So his friends and allies could stay rich? So his reputation wouldn't be ruined? Bucky, to my father, I'm not a real person. I'm an object, a pawn, that he uses to gamble and play with. As long as I stay in the business, in the family, I'll never truly be able to live out my own life. Sure, I was promised to you, but these past three months made me think a lot about the past twenty nine years of my life, and I've realized that I have never once made a decision for myself. I need an out, Bucky, and this is it!"

Taking a deep breath, he voiced his concerns once again. "Y/N, you realize how dangerous this is right? If you walk out now, there's absolutely no coming back. Hell, your dad might come looking for you again! He's almost got you right now, doll. He hit me a few times trying to get information on your location, but I didn't know where you were until T'Chaka's kid, Shuri, came by after hearing about your escape. One of her drones got footage of you outside a McDonald's, and I found you from there. It's not safe to leave forever. You've seen what our parents do, and they won't hesitate to blow our heads off. If we go back now you can still have forgiveness, you can still-"

"No, Bucky! I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way goddamn past asking for permission. All my life, I have wanted out, and if this is one chance I get, then I'm damn well taking it." You tasted the salt from your tears as you sobbed your next words. "I'm leaving as soon as you make up your mind on whether you're leaving with me or not. I won't judge you if you go back, I'm sure you wouldn't want to leave it all behind."

The money. The power. The endless girls that would throw themselves at them, but through it all, he only wanted you. You, Steve, and him had grown up rough, all of your fathers being mob bosses and deals being made about your futures to ensure the security of the wealth that came from your families, but Bucky had never wanted that. Falling in love with you was the one of the only choices he had ever made by his lonesome, and he would follow you to the ends of the world.

"Where are we going, doll?" His eyes glittered, and his signature lopsided smirk stuck on his face. As you stared up at him, he grinned even wider. "I heard that California is real pretty during the fall, and I've always wanted to see the Golden Gate Bridge."

Grabbing your packed duffle bag from the table in front of the moldy couch, you laughed with glee. You were going to spend the rest of your life with the man you loved, freely, and doing whatever you wanted. No pressure, no rules, no parents, no more mob. Just you, Bucky, and the rest of the world to explore.

You threw the keys to the apartment on the table, and walked out with Bucky. "We're gonna need new ID's, Buck. Our parents will try to track us down for the rest of their lives, we're now traitors to the mob bosses of Brooklyn." The thought made you high on adrenaline.

"I already have some." Walking down the empty street, you stared up at him with a confused look on your face. "I have many, many, friends, sweetheart, both in high and low places. We'll need to get you some as well, but for now, it's time for Ricardio Montalbaum to take a Californian trip with his fiancée."

He flashed you one of his ID's, and sure enough, it said Ricardio Montalbaum. Giggling, you took a long sigh and rested your head on his shoulder. The sky was getting darker now, almost night time, and the sunset was a blur of colors in the distance. People scurried around, and for once, it was nice to not have people cowering in fear. It was just Bucky and Y/N, a nice young couple taking a stroll down the streets of Montana.

"Well, Ricardio, we better get some sunscreen then, because if I burn, I will not hesitate to beat your ass." He smiled and pecked you on the lips quickly.

"That's fine with me, doll, as long as I get to spend forever with you."