wasn't supposed to end like this

challenge: pick two writing challenge by ​@justagirlinafandomworld on tumblr

prompt: arranged marriage au and "and then I go and spoil it all by saying something stupid like I love you"

pairing: mobster!bucky barnes x reader

words: 7,378 words

warnings: heavy angst, bucky's a prick in the beginning, lots of pining, mob stuff, cheating, violence, suggestiveness, a little bit of fluff, death, and enemies to lovers kinda

summary: barnes and rogers co. are a cover-up business for the brooklyn mob, but when the police start to get suspicious they set up a marriage with a family with no choice but to obey.

"Daddy, what do you mean I need to go? Why are my bags packed?" You stared at your father who had tears in his eyes and a guilty expression on his face. Tall, burly men in black suits surrounded your house outside with a large limo waiting with them. "Where am I going?"

"You're going to be wed, Y/N." A small gasp left your lips. To whom? You weren't currently in a relationship with anyone and you were barely an adult, only the young, sweet age of twenty-one. "They'll be taking you to your fiancé's house." He grasped your shoulders and behind him, you could see your mother, shaking violently with her head down. She couldn't even look you in the eyes. "I'm sorry, but this is the only way to keep us all alive. Goodbye, my sweet girl."

With that, he laid a small kiss on your forehead as the three men placed their hands on the small of your back and ushered you out of your house. Turning your head around, you screamed and yelled at your parents. Confusion and fear and unbridled anger ran cold through your veins and you sat in the back of the limo and faced a tall, but young-looking man, maybe a few years older than you. He was pretty handsome; chestnut hair pulled into a low bun at the base of his neck, muscular figure, sharp jawline, and blue, cerulean eyes. He had a pair of dark sunglasses perched on his forehead, paired with a well-tailored suit that hugged his biceps tightly. No matter how handsome he was though, you wanted to slap the smirk he wore on his lips. "Who are you?" You asked through gritted teeth.

He simply folded his arms over his chest and looked out the window, refusing to answer you. I swear to God I will slap him if he doesn't give me an an- "My name is James." He answered shortly.

"Well, James, can you please tell me what the fuck I'm doing here?" The man looked over, still smirking, faced his body towards you.

"Look, doll-"

You were beyond pissed at the pet name. "Don't call me that, you prick, my name is Y/N."

"Look, Y/N, I don't want this any more than you do, but for the sake of both of our families we've gotta be civil, so put away that pout." You opened your mouth to object, but he simply cut you off. "You're still pouting, princess. Here's the deal, my family runs Barnes and Rogers Co. which is just, um, let's say a cover-up business for some of the other more... sketchy stuff we do."

"Are you part of the mob?" You blurted out. There was speculation of a Brooklyn mob running around in New York, but there wasn't any proof for them. Mainly it was just gossip you heard while walking around, a myth that no one really believed in besides the investigating police.

James smiled devilishly and booped your nose, making you slap his hand away. "That's exactly right, princess, and since we don't wanna get caught, the two of us are gonna get married in a big, old chapel where everyone can take photos."

Married? You didn't want to get married. "We're going to get married?" You asked incredulously. "What gives you the right to take me away from my family for your own good? I don't want this, take me back right now!"