that would be enough

challenge: 6k au Challenge by ​@wxntersoldiers on tumblr

prompt: bank robber au

pairing: bankrobber!bucky barnes x reader

words: 3,395 words

warnings: just a bit of angst, swearing, fluff, lots and lots of heated moments, and implicated smutty smut

summary: your husband has been distant for a few years, and you've been wanting to know nothing more than what is preventing him from spending time with you. however, what you discovered was absolutely nothing like you expected.

Ten minutes late...

Thirty minutes late...

An hour late...

After an hour of missed calls, unread text messages, and grumbling under your breath, you finally paid for your two glasses of wine and left the restaurant that you had made reservations for four months in advance. Now, Bucky was a good husband. The two of you had dated for three years before he popped the questions two years ago, but ever since he'd proposed and you said yes, he'd been extremely swamped with work, always leaving early in the morning and coming back late at night. Of course, you had your suspicions at first, but both of you talked to each other about your problems and he really just was busy with his job. But soon he started missing everything, just like your anniversary tonight.

You rode a taxi home and wondered where you had gone wrong. He'd gotten laid off from his accounting job about two years into dating, but that was okay with you, as you knew he was working his ass off to find another job and work harder. But right after he proposed, he suddenly had a huge job that offered him a generous amount of money, and soon enough the two of you were moving to the Upper East Side of Manhattan after the marriage. He spoiled you, he really did, and it made you wonder what the hell he was doing so well that he made enough to buy a penthouse within the first two weeks of his new job. Bucky never talked about it much, only jokingly saying things like "putting some assholes back in their places" or "stealing from the rich", so you had always assumed he had another job with the bank.

Entering your penthouse, also cold and empty, you set your purse on the kitchen counter and went straight upstairs to take a shower. The hot water hit your back and as it relaxed your muscles, you started to cry. Of course, you were absolutely grateful that your husband was working hard to make money, but were all of the missed dinners and long hours worth it? He was hardly the man you knew three years ago.

Finishing your small crying session in the shower, you wrapped yourself in a fluffy robe, ready to binge-watch Gossip Girl for the nth time. It was kind of ironic, how you used to pine over the lives of Serena and Blair, living on the Upper East Side with their husbands and wealth, and now here you were with the exact same, and you had never felt lonelier. Your footsteps padded softly down the stairs, but you stopped in your tracks at the familiar, muscular figure standing in the living room. "Bucky?" You asked.

"Hi, babydoll, how was your day?" He said with a smile, holding his arms out for you to run into. But you didn't. He clearly didn't recognize his mistake.

"Oh, you know, just shitty." Brows furrowed and mouth opening to ask why, you spoke before he could. "I just don't see my husband at all during the day, work my ass off, and to top it all off, he stands me up at dinner and can't even seem to remember our anniversary." His eyes widened when he remembered that you had been planning this for so long, and he felt absolutely horrible for forgetting the anniversary. He'd gotten so caught up at the bank that it had completely slipped his mind. "So, yeah, you get to sleep on the couch tonight."