jealousy looks pretty on you

challenge: @vibraniumdaisies​'s  au+1 writing challenge

prompt: barista AU and "jealousy looks pretty on you" "i'm not jealous"

pairing: barista!Bucky x Reader

words: 1,919 words

warnings: cocky!bucky, language, a little angst if you squint, just some nice fluff to start off your morning

summary: you go to your favorite coffee shop after your date from the morning before never shows up.

You were looking for one face when you entered the coffee shop. It probably was a little creepy, scanning the room carefully, for a man you barely knew, but what could you say? He had you hooked from the first time you had locked onto his blue-eyed gaze and he asked for your order. While the coffee was indeed good, the real reason you came back was for the pretty brunette boy with a charming smile.

Speaking of the devil, where was he?

There were about five people in front of you, so you sighed and pulled out your phone. Several notifications were from your best friend and roommate, Natasha, who was alerting you that she would be out for the rest of the day with Steve, her ridiculously sweet boyfriend who also happened to be just as handsome. They had been dating for almost nine months now, but in the small amount of time the blonde haired man had tried to set you up with several of his friends. First there was Clint, who was very strange, and talked about archery a lot. He wasn't very interested in you at all, but he still paid the bill and walked you home. Then there was Sam, who was now one of your very good friends. He was actually in love with another woman at the time, a cute girl named June who worked with him, so the two of you ended up talking about how to ask her out. Yeah, birdman, you thought, better thank me when you get married. Finally there was Bucky, who you'd never met, as he stood you up at the coffee shop you were supposed to meet the morning before. The single coffee shop you were standing in actually. Oh well. At least you got a free pumpkin spice latte. The cute barista who's name you still did not know had seen you looking down gave you a pity coffee for free. He dropped a wink to you as he handed you the cup at your table, and it almost made up for the fact that you had been stood up.

Bucky was apparently Steve's best friend, and from the stories you'd heard about him he was a charmer. He was a barista at Stark Coffee, the cafe you were still waiting in line at, so you were surprised you'd never run into him before. When you had called Natasha last night to tell her that you had sat in the coffee shop for an hour and half with no one turning up, she was downright furious. You could hear her yelling at poor Steve over the phone, who you knew was blushing and apologizing profusely. It was okay though, it wasn't his fault and you did get that free coffee from pretty blue-eyes.

Sighing, you glanced up at your phone and noticed you were next in line, you moved up and slipped the phone into your pocket. You looked up at the board, trying to decide what to get. Stark Coffee always had a wide variety of coffees exported from different countries, but the daily specials were your favorite. Tony Stark, the owner, always let his baristas play around with the ingredients to make new creations for the menu, something you always found intriguing and unique. Being an employee at Stark's definitely seemed more fun than working in your boring desk job.

You heard a loud booming laugh, and saw that the cute barista with the blue eyes was laughing at something the girl in front of you had said. Rolling your eyes you thought, she can't be that funny. Were you being petty? Absolutely. But after three failed, set-up dates, you were in a crappy mood, and this lady flirting with your cute barista made you annoyed. Okay, so he wasn't yours, but you had hoped he had wanted to ask you out. Had those flirty winks and free drinks (ha, that rhymed) meant nothing to him? Was he simply just being a good person? The negative thoughts plagued your mind and made you grumble.