The last birthday

He was walking alone, a body without a soul. The moon was reflecting its light on the waves of the beach. They were static as they were in solidarity with him in his ordeal.

"So, this is the end..this day came and I'm turning 30, and, there is no escape from my fate," said Nick in such a somber voice, wiping a tear that had fallen from his wistful green eyes.

A few minutes later, his phone rang. He hesitated at first to pick it up but then answered.
"Baby, where are you? Everyone is waiting for you at home. How come the party starts without its king?" said his wife Madeline softly "Daddy, please come back soon. The cake is too appetizing, and I can't wait anymore!" added his five-year-old child innocently.

" I'm..I'm on my way my dear" he was preventing himself from hiccups, walking with heavy footsteps but he suddenly started accelerating admitting " It's better if I walk fast, time is running out of me"

By his entrance, everyone exclaimed "Happy birthday!!" His wife ran towards him hugging and kissing him saying excitedly,  "Happy birthday honey. May God bless you, bless us. I love you so much" But their little son interrupted their romantic moment and grabbed his father's hand saying cheerfully "Come on Daddy, blow the candles and cut the cake..I can't wait anymore" he said, looking at him in his shining crystallized blue eyes.

He carried him between his arms and smiled saying "Come on buddy...let's blow them together"

The candles were blown, cake was cut, juice was served and everybody was enjoying his time dancing, singing, and having fun.

Nick was sweating. His heart was beating fast. He looked at his watch, it was a quarter to midnight. He approached his wife and asked her to accompany him to the kitchen.

She asked him worryingly "Is there something bothering you?"

It was hard for him to let words out.

"Why are you looking down? You're frightening me...say something" she put her hand under his chin to lift it up.

"Truly ashamed of myself. I'm...I'm sorry Madeline for not telling you about that"

"But what the hell is going on? You are really scaring me. If this is one of your jokes...please stop it right now and let's go back to the party"

"Madeline, you are really a good person...You don't deserve that. I...I just don't know why I allowed myself to fall in love with such a person like you...or let's say, love is forbidden for me with everyone. This is really unfair." His hands changed into iron while Madeline was looking with a pale face. She couldn't understand or believe what her eyes were looking at.

"Wh...What's happening to your hands?" She was touching him many times and crying.

"This is the truth. I'm, I'm not a human. I'm a robot. My maker cast a spell over me, that lasts for 30 years, to make me a human being. He didn't have kids and he raised me as if I'm his own, and now here it is...I'm returning to my originality. I wanted to tell you several times, but, it was really hard, and, that's why I didn't want to have kids, but, I couldn't see you upset. This is the reason for our son's eyes. Madeline...please, take care of Dexter very well. Tell him that his father loves him so much." His voice started to change.

Madeline was just looking at him, sobbing shockingly. She hugged him warmly " No, this can't happen...you must be lying? This must be a prank"

But it was already midnight o'clock; he was totally transferred into an iron robot.

"Wow, is dad himself the magician of the party? I liked his trick so much" said the little boy smiling.

                                   ***

"That time, I was really believing that my dad made some sort of trick on himself, but over time, I started acknowledging that, I'm indeed a robot's son. Many of you or maybe all of you will find this ridiculous to believe, but, life is full of miracles, and today, I decided to show everybody my real eyes." said Dexter, who was talking to the attendees in the editorial of his book. He was a handsome teenager now.

He pulled off the lenses and everybody was surprised by his crystallized eyes.

"I suffered a lot from bullying because of these eyes, even old people were afraid of me, so since I was 7, I've worn those lenses and this is the first time I take them off. That was my dad's story. And now, I'd like to invite to the floor the person who was and still until now a real brave militant who didn't give up and made me who I am today. I'm very proud of her. Mom, please" he said smiling, asking her to join him.

She headed towards him tearfully, approached and said" I'm proud of you too son. Thanks for being in my life"

"There is no need for these tears now, Mom,"

Everyone in the room was clapping at that emotional moment before someone exclaimed "You're an example to follow, a gem that passed throughout history, bravo!"

"Is there a second chapter for your book?" said someone else.

"Maybe. I'll let the days decide instead of me"